• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is There Really Seniority or Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tnt

I was recently terminated from my job due to job force reduction is what I was told. I think the actual reason was because I have a daughter with a mental illness (bipolar disorder) and had missed several days of work, but I can't prove that. Anyway I held the position of cashier for a public utility which is a main job there. I was told that since I was the last one hired with lowest seniority that unfortunately I was the one being dismissed, it wasn't for my job performance. They told me they were doing away with my job title, but since then they have give it to someone else in the office, which I understand. Although I was not the last person hired, there was a meter reader hired about 1 year after me. I always thought that when there was a job reduction that the last person hired was dismissed and everyone else would move down accordingly. Am I wrong or do I have probable cause to think that I was discriminated against, after all I can read a meter just as well as a male, but I didn't have the choice. Please help and I look forward to hearing the results of this.

M

msattorney

I would certainly consult with an employment attorney about this. While it is perfectly legal for an employer to downsize, yours may have lied to cover up other reasons that you were being let go. Employers can eliminate any positions in a downsizing not just the last person who was hired. Of course, if you are a member of a union, the rules may differ. Remember that most employment relations are "at will" - in other words, either the employer or the employee may quit or be fired without reasons needed. You are most likely eligible for unemployment in your state. Again, I suggest that you speak to an employment attoney--try finding one at https://attorneypages.com in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">