• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nerak46

Can I be charged with any crime in the state of Virginia, if I move into a vacant unlocked apartment, clean and fix it up from prior tenants, and change the locks, with out having made verbal or written contact with the owner? I have called him and his Mother to find out if I can rent it or take over the payments, as I understand that he is sick and filing bankruptcy. I am still trying to find out who the mortage company is, but have not been able to so far. I have spoken with the condo association and they would love to have me move into it and clean it and take care of it, but they have no authority to give me premission. Could I be charged with trespassing or have my belongins put in the street?

T

TimC

What are you thinking?!?!?!

If you do not own the property, or do not have an agreement with the owner that allows you to make use of the property, then you have committed a crime. It is is called Trespassing.

You have no rights to the property. You do not belong there. If the rightful owner chose to do so, he could call the police and file charges. You are entitled to no reimburesement for any expenses you have paid into the property.

However, if you enjoy improving other people's property with no reimbursement or barter agreement, come north a few states, as I have some work that needs to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">