• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a HIPAA violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MMR31312

Michigan
Less than three months ago I was in the ER at a hospital in Michigan being treated for mental health issues. During this time period the hospital called my family and let them know I was there, then they visited me in the ER and the staff gave my keys to family members. I called the hospital today and they said that they do not believe this is a HIPAA violation, I believe it is
If possible, please post objective and clear reasoning as to why or why not you think this is a HIPAA violation. Thank you.

LdiJ

Michigan
Less than three months ago I was in the ER at a hospital in Michigan being treated for mental health issues. During this time period the hospital called my family and let them know I was there, then they visited me in the ER and the staff gave my keys to family members. I called the hospital today and they said that they do not believe this is a HIPAA violation, I believe it is
If possible, please post objective and clear reasoning as to why or why not you think this is a HIPAA violation. Thank you.
Yours keys to what? However, this sounds like a homework question and we do not normally do homework.

quincy

Michigan
How old are you?

How long were you in the hospital?

Did you provide the hospital with your family's contact information?

Were you released in the care of your family?

Here is a link to AMA information on HIPAA violations and enforcement:
https://www.ama-assn.org/practice-management/hipaa/hipaa-violations-enforcement

Make special note of those entities covered under HIPAA.

justalayman

Would you like us to cite our sources and pertinent statutes so you can list them in your bibliography?

Unless you told them you have family and the family members phone number, do you believe they have that info in some little black book somewhere?

quincy

Would you like us to cite our sources and pertinent statutes so you can list them in your bibliography?

Unless you told them you have family and the family members phone number, do you believe they have that info in some little black book somewhere?
Was this somehow determined to be a homework question?

Edit to add: Why is everyone changing fonts? It is much more difficult to read.

MMR31312

I'm sorry guys, I'm actually serious here. This is my story. Okay, we can forget about the justification portion for now and just discuss your opinions on the matter, if that is more comfortable. I'm a 22 year old male with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, and was brought to the hospital when my counselor reported a suicidal crisis. The keys were to my apartment, and I got them back eventually. They confiscated them as they were sharp and I was cutting myself at the time of admission. I was in the ER for not more than 3 days, and I was transferred to a psychiatric ward subsequently. Thank you for the resources quincy.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Michigan

Looks like Junior is learning how to spell HIPAA, at least. He's been posting this all over the place.

justalayman

I didn’t change the font. The site did somehow.

The wording of the question, especially the part I quoted, really makes it appear to be a homework question. I can’t imagine a typical poster asking for the “objective and clear reasoning” my opinion is based on. A teacher is likely to want objective and clear reasoning for a students answer though.

justalayman

I'm sorry guys, I'm actually serious here. This is my story. Okay, we can forget about the justification portion for now and just discuss your opinions on the matter, if that is more comfortable. I'm a 22 year old male with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, and was brought to the hospital when my counselor reported a suicidal crisis. The keys were to my apartment, and I got them back eventually. They confiscated them as they were sharp and I was cutting myself at the time of admission. I was in the ER for not more than 3 days, and I was transferred to a psychiatric ward subsequently. Thank you for the resources quincy.
So how did the caller her the phone number and name of the relative called? Do you have a guardian? Are you under any court orders where a contact person would be listed?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Were your parents listed as an Emergency Contact with either the hospital or the therapist's practice?

quincy

didn’t change the font. The site did somehow.

The wording of the question, especially the part I quoted, really makes it appear to be a homework question. I can’t imagine a typical poster asking for the “objective and clear reasoning” my opinion is based on. A teacher is likely to want objective and clear reasoning for a students answer though.
How odd. I have noticed a few members using that font all of a sudden.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">