• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a similar to an existing trademark?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Derrick12

What is the name of your state? IL

I am confused on what extent a trademark is considered similar. I have researched online, but still not sure if this name that I want to register will pass. Let's say, for example, I wanted to register a trademark for the following word: "FIGA". And after doing a search on the trademark website, in the same trademark goods/services class I saw the word: "FEGO".

Would the word "FIGA" be considered "similar" to the word "FEGO"? What is your opinion? Because right now I am very confused by the extent that a trademark is considered similar.

quincy

What is the name of your state? IL

I am confused on what extent a trademark is considered similar. I have researched online, but still not sure if this name that I want to register will pass. Let's say, for example, I wanted to register a trademark for the following word: "FIGA". And after doing a search on the trademark website, in the same trademark goods/services class I saw the word: "FEGO".

Would the word "FIGA" be considered "similar" to the word "FEGO"? What is your opinion? Because right now I am very confused by the extent that a trademark is considered similar.
If a consumer is likely to be confused by the similarity between trademarks and the origin of the goods/services being offered, the second user of the mark (you, in this case) may have to choose another mark or risk a denied trademark application and/or opposition from the original holder of the similar mark.

Because FEGO and FIGA are similar and are unusual marks (and the latter has a questionable connotation and denotation), I would say that there is a good chance the second user will not be able to register the mark with the USPTO in the same class of goods/services as the first (registered) user.

You should speak to a trademark attorney in your area for a personal analysis of the specific mark you are considering.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">