• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a threat?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beeper71

My 15-year-old daughter played with a local band in restaurants, etc. for two years. Unfortunately, her relationship with the band founder soured, and they parted ways two months ago.
Last night this individual sent a long scathing message to my wife (daughter's mother), through Facebook accusing my daughter of slander and other sorts of misbehavior. At the end of the message, this person made two statements that could be considered threats.
"I have not yet told the truth fully to these musicians but I will in the future, so get your kid ready for her consequences." This statement referred to all the information about my daughter's lousy conduct that the bandleader had yet told others.
The second statement, "The messages I have received off of FB by your so called musician friends (lol) will not help her when it comes time to enroll in college." I guess this refers to all the conversations this person has had with other people about whatever this person thinks my daughter did. I don't understand what this has to do with my daughter's college. Of course, I know that this person cannot impact that, but the statement indicates that this lady would be great to my family if she could.
My question: are these threats? If so, is there anything I could/should do?

quincy

My 15-year-old daughter played with a local band in restaurants, etc. for two years. Unfortunately, her relationship with the band founder soured, and they parted ways two months ago.
Last night this individual sent a long scathing message to my wife (daughter's mother), through Facebook accusing my daughter of slander and other sorts of misbehavior. At the end of the message, this person made two statements that could be considered threats.
"I have not yet told the truth fully to these musicians but I will in the future, so get your kid ready for her consequences." This statement referred to all the information about my daughter's lousy conduct that the bandleader had yet told others.
The second statement, "The messages I have received off of FB by your so called musician friends (lol) will not help her when it comes time to enroll in college." I guess this refers to all the conversations this person has had with other people about whatever this person thinks my daughter did. I don't understand what this has to do with my daughter's college. Of course, I know that this person cannot impact that, but the statement indicates that this lady would be great to my family if she could.
What is the name of your state?

PayrollHRGuy

THreats to carry out legal activities are generally not illegal. Unless he is saying "pay me X or else" it isn't illegal and may not even be then.

Just Blue

What state?

ETA: What was the alleged behavior by your daughter? That could be relevant to the answers you get here.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
They can be construed as threats to do something. But what it is that the person would do beyond telling the band mates of the drama, is not at all clear. If you are asking whether those statements constitute an illegal threat, just from what you've said here the answer is no.

beeper71

What state?

ETA: What was the alleged behavior by your daughter? That could be relevant to the answers you get here.
Supposedly 1) she is slandering the other person. She is not. She’s said very little to anyone, and nothing she’s said is false. 2) telling venues things that have prevented the band from getting jobs (of course this is wrong, and would not even be possible for us to do.) 3) using the band name to get her own jobs booked. (Also false.)

quincy

You and/or or your daughter’s mom probably would be smart to sit down with your daughter to discuss the contents of the Facebook postings and what led to their publication.

If there is something your daughter did, or if there is something someone is prepared to falsely claim she did, and if publication risks harming your daughter’s future college plans, you don’t want to ignore what was written.

The band’s founder could just be making noise.

beeper71

Thank you all for your help. At first I viewed this as my daughter getting cut from a team. But it keeps coming up. I’m quite angry, of course, but we will get though in silence.

zddoodah

are these threats?
One could reasonable construe at least the first one as such, but so what?

If so, is there anything I could/should do?
I'm confident you could do lots of things, but your post doesn't really raise any legal issue. There's nothing illegal about this bandleader telling other members of the band about things your daughter has done. Nor is there anything illegal about him telling your wife that he's going to disclose the information. The part about your daughter enrolling in college (presumably three years from now) is too vague to comment on.

Supposedly 1) she is slandering the other person. She is not. She’s said very little to anyone, and nothing she’s said is false.
I assume this is nothing more than you passing along what your daughter has told you. In other words, I have serious doubts that you know what your daughter has and hasn't said to anyone.

This seems like something that ought to be ignored but also is an opportunity to teach/remind your daughter that things she says may have wide-ranging consequences. If something more actually comes of this, then the situation can be reevaluated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">