• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a union violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nycmax22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Is a union allowed to promise a worker wage increase IF they join a union or would this be considered a violation of 8(b)(1).

Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

8(b)(1) from where?

Your question is a bit too vague to answer. It may be as simple as the pay for your classification is higher within the union contract.

Not really sure where you are in this situation but New York is not a right to work state so if you are employed by a company that is unionized, you do not have the choice of joining or not.

Maybe a bit of explanation would be good.

racer72

This is a legal forum, it is designed for folks to get answers to general legal questions. Your question involves a union contract between an employer and it's employee's union. It is not a legal question. I would suggest you find a forum that deals with union issues or take your question to a union steward or a business rep. That is part of their jobs.

justalayman

racer, you do realize we have a forum topic specifically title "union issues", right? (this one)

Since the basics of a union issue are typically contract law, I see no reason this is not appropriate for this forum.

A contract issue is typically a legal issue.

Additionally, it appears the OP is citing some statute from somewhere that questions the ability of the union rep to speak as he has. Most definately a lega issue.

nycmax22

racer, you do realize we have a forum topic specifically title "union issues", right? (this one)

Since the basics of a union issue are typically contract law, I see no reason this is not appropriate for this forum.

A contract issue is typically a legal issue.

Additionally, it appears the OP is citing some statute from somewhere that questions the ability of the union rep to speak as he has. Most definately a lega issue.
Thank you. My question is in specific regards to section 8 (b)(1). After speaking with a union member today, he raised some valid points. He mentioned that when joining a union the base pay might be $30 (just an example). If a worker is approached and is promised wages if he joins the union, it's essentially an incentive and the truth if the person earns less than $30 per hour. There was a term for the pay, not minimum wage though. Thank you for the help.

justalayman

you are losing me on this.

where is this 8(b)(1) from you mention?

and in most union contracts, pay is a specified part of the contract. Is this rep offering you something beyond what the contract requires you to be paid?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">