• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this acceptable parenting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajkroy

Since the OP is a teacher (which means she has a clear background check) with years of teaching and nanny experience, I would think Mom made an excellent choice for someone to watch over her child. However, no one can make OP care about Dad's kids...

Just Blue

Since the OP is a teacher (which means she has a clear background check) with years of teaching and nanny experience, I would think Mom made an excellent choice for someone to watch over her child. However, no one can make OP care about Dad's kids...
And the child in question is 14...not 3 or 4.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am a stranger to this mom. I am a competent adult but I am not getting paid and she feels it's acceptable to drop him off in a house instead of keeping him till the dad gets off work
Then call Dad and tell him his son is there and you are going out. Or move. Or evict Dad. Lots of options.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You've never worked nights, have you? I have.

So Mom's supposed to work her night shift, come home, stay up to supervise a 14 year old boy, and only sleep after Dad gets home from work? By which time she likely only has a matter of five or so hours before she has to be at work again?

Of course you're expecting her to stay up and supervise him. You've made a point of how irresponsible the boy is. He might as well be left alone if she's sleeping while he's at home, and you've very strongly implied that someone needs to be watching him at all times.

And you expect to be PAID for watching your boyfriend's kid? Lady, you're a real piece of work, aren't you?

LdiJ

I am not sure that we should be quite so unsympathetic to the OP. I doubt that any of us would be thrilled to have a child just dumped on us when we were not expecting to have to care for a child. She could have had plans of her own that were interrupted by that happening.

However, on the other hand it apparently has only happened once so far this summer, and we are already half way into July, therefore its not a chronic problem.

Just Blue

I am not sure that we should be quite so unsympathetic to the OP. I doubt that any of us would be thrilled to have a child just dumped on us when we were not expecting to have to care for a child. She could have had plans of her own that were interrupted by that happening.

However, on the other hand it apparently has only happened once so far this summer, and we are already half way into July, therefore its not a chronic problem.
As a teacher, I'm sure OP is aware of the word "No!".

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
So let's suppose for a minute that one of us actually agrees with you that this is not acceptable. Now what? If you are so unhappy with this situation, you should break up with your b/f and allow him to find someone who isn't so, well, unacceptable.

Have you taken even a nano-second to think about this poor kid? Divorce is hard enough on kids, but for his dad to not only "move on" but to move IN with another woman when still married is bound to be very, very confusing for the child. So it's no wonder he's acting out.

Try being a better human and cut the kid some slack.

isis297

You've never worked nights, have you? I have.

So Mom's supposed to work her night shift, come home, stay up to supervise a 14 year old boy, and only sleep after Dad gets home from work? By which time she likely only has a matter of five or so hours before she has to be at work again?

Of course you're expecting her to stay up and supervise him. You've made a point of how irresponsible the boy is. He might as well be left alone if she's sleeping while he's at home, and you've very strongly implied that someone needs to be watching him at all times.

And you expect to be PAID for watching your boyfriend's kid? Lady, you're a real piece of work, aren't you?
Let's not forget she is a nurse where people's lives depend on her being well rested, alert and thinking clearly. :(

Reactions: cbg

bcr229

Let's not forget she is a nurse where people's lives depend on her being well rested, alert and thinking clearly. :(
Then she can move into her own place where she doesn't have to deal with her boyfriend's child while he works.

isis297

Then she can move into her own place where she doesn't have to deal with her boyfriend's child while he works.
I'm not following you. I was saying that the mom needs to be well rested because she's a nurse and lives depend on her. You would think in an effort to make for good co-parenting/step-parenting the OP would think about all of that. I really hope none of the nurses who take care of my husband or son have ex's girlfriends who feel like the OP. I count on them to keep my family safe and alive and well cared for while they are with them. I'm sure the boy's mom has patients and their families who feel the same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">