• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this allowed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

humnbein

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My former wife was recently convicted on a drug charge.
Her son, a suspect in a homicde case has been sitting in jail for 18 months awaiting trial. No trial date set as of this post.
The sentencing of my former wife was held in the Judges chambers. Is the DA
allowed to invite a reporter for the local newspaper (which he did) to be present in chambers also, (which he was)?
The following day the headlines in the local section of the paper read : "Murder suspect's mother sentenced" along with a picture of her.
The article reads briefly of her conviction (about 3 paragraphs) and the remaining 8 paragraphs were about her son being a murder suspect.
One case has nothing to do with the other. Her son was already in jail when she was arrested.
I'm convinced this was a weird ploy on the DA's part to get to her son and the public, since they lack any substantial evidence.
My ex and her lame public defender never gave permission for the reporter to be in chambers, nor were they asked.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

humnbein said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California
My former wife was recently convicted on a drug charge.
Her son, a suspect in a homicde case has been sitting in jail for 18 months awaiting trial. No trial date set as of this post.
The sentencing of my former wife was held in the Judges chambers. Is the DA
allowed to invite a reporter for the local newspaper (which he did) to be present in chambers also, (which he was)?
The following day the headlines in the local section of the paper read : "Murder suspect's mother sentenced" along with a picture of her.
The article reads briefly of her conviction (about 3 paragraphs) and the remaining 8 paragraphs were about her son being a murder suspect.
One case has nothing to do with the other. Her son was already in jail when she was arrested.
I'm convinced this was a weird ploy on the DA's part to get to her son and the public, since they lack any substantial evidence.
My ex and her lame public defender never gave permission for the reporter to be in chambers, nor were they asked.

My response:

If she's your "ex", how and why does this matter to you?

If the judge allowed the reporter to be present, then that's it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">