• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this child abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuxedo26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

The mother of my son has legal physical and custodial custody of him, however for the past seven or eight months he has not been living with her. Mom moved to a city about 50 miles away (without notifying me of the move or her new address) from my son and he was left to live with her husband and the other children from their marriage. Mom was married to the husband at the time our child was born. Also, a grandmother of an older child from one of mom's previous relationships (before the current husband) has been living with the husband, kids, and my son. Neither the husband or 'grandma', the only two adults in the household, have biological relationship or legal rights to my son, if I am correct. Mom sees our son twice a month at the most and I have been sticking to the parenting plan and visitation schedule throughout and lately have been picking up my son pretty much every weekend instead of every other as was initially agreed upon. Mom rarely responds to calls or texts so I have been communicating with the husband to arrange visitation. I hired an attorney six months ago but have been disappointed so far and little progress has been made and nothing close to a court case or hearing has transpired. I don't feel that I should have to return my son to the home considering no legal guardian or relative is nearby but fear being in the wrong legally so do return him. My attorney has not advised me either way which is best legally. Since mom has not been around for such a long period of timeis this enough to be considered for child abandonment and possible emergency temporary custody? Also are there favorable chances I could pursue this on my own if my attorney chooses not to do so? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

The mother of my son has legal physical and custodial custody of him, however for the past seven or eight months he has not been living with her. Mom moved to a city about 50 miles away (without notifying me of the move or her new address) from my son and he was left to live with her husband and the other children from their marriage. Mom was married to the husband at the time our child was born. Also, a grandmother of an older child from one of mom's previous relationships (before the current husband) has been living with the husband, kids, and my son. Neither the husband or 'grandma', the only two adults in the household, have biological relationship or legal rights to my son, if I am correct. Mom sees our son twice a month at the most and I have been sticking to the parenting plan and visitation schedule throughout and lately have been picking up my son pretty much every weekend instead of every other as was initially agreed upon. Mom rarely responds to calls or texts so I have been communicating with the husband to arrange visitation. I hired an attorney six months ago but have been disappointed so far and little progress has been made and nothing close to a court case or hearing has transpired. I don't feel that I should have to return my son to the home considering no legal guardian or relative is nearby but fear being in the wrong legally so do return him. My attorney has not advised me either way which is best legally. Since mom has not been around for such a long period of timeis this enough to be considered for child abandonment and possible emergency temporary custody? Also are there favorable chances I could pursue this on my own if my attorney chooses not to do so? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
No. This is in no way child abandonment. Furthermore, has your paternity been established? Is there a court order for custody/visitation? Mom has left the child with her husband while she lives elsewhere (should we assume for work?) and sees her son.

BL

Six months into this with an attorney ,and no advice ?

What is the attorney been/being pd. for?

Silverplum

The perfect way to BLOW your chances at primary custody is to do what you propose: keep the child past the time you are required to return him. Do NOT do that.

Fire your current attorney, hire a new one, file for primary custody. Follow your court order till it's changed.

tuxedo26

Ohiogal: My son is 4 and yes paternity was established immediately after his birth. A court order is in place and mom has full custody while I do have visitation for every other weekend and rotating holidays. Mom claims she moved for a new job but when law enforcement went there to serve her papers the company had never heard of her. She has another boyfriend there now and from what I know they are involved with things they shouldn't be. I've paid child support and stayed current on it and from what I can tell not a dime goes towards my son.

BL: I wish I knew where my money was going before I hired my attorney. Working on gathering funds to hire another. Thanks!

Silverplum: thank you. I will continue to stick to the plan and be disciplined

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">