• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this contract legally binding???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JerseyTom

Well, my Grandmother died in May of 2001. I was 20 years old at the time. I had signed the contract for the funeral bill which is $3,630. A lot has happened since then. Basically, a couple months after she died my Grandfather developed Alzheimers. My mother then got power of Attorney for my grandfather. My grandfather was the next if kin for my grandmother.

Anyway, I had sent a check for $1,630 to the funeral home. The check bounced because after my mother got the power of attorney one of the many things she did was clean out my grandfather's bank account.

So, over a year has gone by & the funeral parlor, out of the blue, has their lawyer contact me to tell me that they are suing me for the $3,630. They had originally contacted my mother, but she sent them after me. It's her responsibility, but it is a very long story as to why I do not speak to my mother etc etc etc.

So, their lawyer is telling me that I have to pay them or they are going to take me to court for the money. I, and everyone I have told about this situation, thinks they are just trying to strong arm me into paying this. I had sent my mother a very civil & formal letter about this. Basically, telling her to pay it & please contact me with when & how she intends to do so. I, of course, never got a reply from her. I am not surprised about that.

I went into the funeral home Monday & spoke to the owner's secretary since he was not there. I explained everything to her. That my mother, after getting power of attorney for my grandfather & him being next of kin, should be paying the bill. She took down my mother's address & info & assured me that they would give her info to the collection agency & I no longer have to worry.

Well, their lawyer called me back today trying to get me to pay, again. I told him I went in there Monday & straightened it all out. He said that he just spoke to the owner of the funeral home & he said "I want this guy (me). Get him" So, he called the owner back & then called me back after that, about an hour later. He proceeds to tell me that I have till August 31st to pay the $3,630 or they are going to serve me with a summons!!

I then called & spoke to the owner of the funeral home & explained everything to him directly. He was telling me what his Secretray, that I spoke to, told him. Everything he was saying that she said was a lie. They twisted all my words etc. So, then, kept saying that *I* had signed the contract blah blah so *I* have to pay it. He, also, said that the collection agency would not go after my mother because *I* signed the contract. Now, I am not a lawyer, but I am pretty sure that the collection agency does not care who they are told to go after as long as they collect the money. Afterall, a collection agency's job is to collect money!!!

So, he then takes down my mother's address & tells me that he is going to go to her place this weekend & talk to her. I told him that she will nto agree to pay & that she will just send him back to me. My mother is a very sick individual. She is pawning off her own mother's funeral bill on her son. Again, long story & most of it does not have to do with me getting out of the funeral bill so I won't waste time typing it. So, I am going to call the owner back on Monday to see how it went.

Now, must you be 21 in New Jersey in order to sign a legally binding contract or is it 18? I hope it's 21 cuz then I can just tell them that & finally be able to breathe again!

Also, if that will not get me out of this mess then is there anything I can do, short of getting a lawyer & suining my mother??? Because I don't have money for this funeral bill or a lawyer to sue anyone or goto court with the funeral home.

On a side note, I really don't know what they think they will accomplish by suing me if they actually go through with it. I live paycheck to paycheck, my car needs a new motor that I don't have money for right now. I have no money to pay them even if I wanted to!! *Sigh*

Thank you for reading my novel & I appreciate any & all help you can give me. I really need to get this straightened out ASAP!! :(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The reason you're not getting any responses is because - -

1. It's too long. We don't like "novels".

2. You're from New Jersey. More than a few of us have "had it" with the people in New York and New Jersey. We don't like their attitudes. Long story, yadda, yadda, etc., etc.

IAAL

J

JerseyTom

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

The reason you're not getting any responses is because - -

1. It's too long. We don't like "novels".

2. You're from New Jersey. More than a few of us have "had it" with the people in New York and New Jersey. We don't like their attitudes. Long story, yadda, yadda, etc., etc.

IAAL
Wow, talk about judgmental!

Lump all of us together in one barrel. Great way to be!

It's too long? Sorry, if you have a short attention span, but I needed to get all details out so everyone knows what's going on!

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JerseyTom said:

"Wow, talk about judgmental!
Lump all of us together in one barrel. Great way to be!"

MY RESPONSE: I really don't care to have a discussion about this, but, there are millions of you between the two States, so yes, for the sake of expediency and reality, I do "lump" you all together. I don't have time to "test" each of you. So, you get "lumped."

It's too long? Sorry, if you have a short attention span, but I needed to get all details out so everyone knows what's going on!

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY RESPONSE: This is exactly the "attitude" I was talking about. You're no different than any of the other New Jerseans or New Yorkers. You've all got smartass answers. If you had read the instructions in RED words, it says to be "brief". In my opinion, and even admitted by you, yours wasn't "brief".

So, now you get nothing.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">