• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this defrauding the mortgage company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JayFin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a minority share partner with 3 other guys in a business. One of our business assets is a house we rent out. We are considering refinancing our current loan to get a better interest rate. My partners have approached me and are proposing that I sign the mortgage loan alone because we get the best interest rate. But they want the note to be in all our names. (Again... I have less than 25% ownership in this company).

My first question, and the most one I need as soon as possible is: Would this be defrauding the mortgage company?

My second question is: This seems to be an excessive risk on my part and is there any way to protect myself?

Thanks in advance,
Jayfin

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I, too, have some property that I'd like you to assume all the risk for, yet me be a part owner :rolleyes:

This is a BAD idea.

FlyingRon

I already answered this in the other thread you suggested this.
Please keep all your questions in one thread.
Lying on your mortgage application is FRAUD.

JayFin

My apologies to FlyingRon and anyone else that may have noted that.

I wanted to know exactly what you wrote when you wrote "this is fraud". That is exactly what I needed.

I was just concerned you would not be back online to respond before I went into a meeting in a few minutes.

HomeGuru

My apologies to FlyingRon and anyone else that may have noted that.

I wanted to know exactly what you wrote when you wrote "this is fraud". That is exactly what I needed.

I was just concerned you would not be back online to respond before I went into a meeting in a few minutes.
**A: use common sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">