• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

njhguitar

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I just wanted to know If it is discrimination if a buisness tells you that you will not even be considered for employment if you check the box that you have ever been fired from a job?
And that is not even giving you a chance to explain what may have happened or for them to even contact the emloyer that fired you
The person that also said this is a human resource in a hospital and you have to go through that channel even if you have talked to the dept. head in which you would accually be hired and you meet all of there qualifications, but you cant get to the point to have an interview because you where fired from a job at one point in your life. thanks for any input
Neal Hardin

BelizeBreeze

Not in the least. Why should the company take on someone else's problems.

And just so you have the legal background, being fired is not a protected class for which a discrimination charge can be substantiated such as race, religious affiliation or sex.
(getting it or lack thereof :D)

HomeGuru

njhguitar said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia
I just wanted to know If it is discrimination if a buisness tells you that you will not even be considered for employment if you check the box that you have ever been fired from a job?
And that is not even giving you a chance to explain what may have happened or for them to even contact the emloyer that fired you
The person that also said this is a human resource in a hospital and you have to go through that channel even if you have talked to the dept. head in which you would accually be hired and you meet all of there qualifications, but you cant get to the point to have an interview because you where fired from a job at one point in your life. thanks for any input
Neal Hardin

**A: that is not cause for discrimination.

njhguitar

HomeGuru said:
**A: that is not cause for discrimination.
Even though that may not be discrimination that doesnt seem like that would be fair or ethical, do you believe anything could be done or maybe a formal complaint would make a difference? it just doesnt seem right that the one person should be able to make that sort of statement or assumtion about the person, who is well qualified for all of the jobs that are posted on there job board. Because I dont believe it is their company policy not to hire someone who has ever been fired from a job. The person was also kind of rude when she made the comment that you wont ever get an interview because you where fired from a previous job. I may be wrong by thinking this way but it just does not seem fair..

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, I don't think it's fair, and I don't think it's right. Plenty of people are fired for reasons that they have no control over. But that still doesn't make it illegal. No, I don't think a formal complaint would do any good. A company that would institute such a policy isn't going to be swayed by one, and if you're talking about a formal complaint to an outside agency, there's no agency that regulates it because it's not against the law.

Besides, do you really want to work for a company that would have such a policy?

njhguitar

cbg said:
No, I don't think it's fair, and I don't think it's right. Plenty of people are fired for reasons that they have no control over. But that still doesn't make it illegal. No, I don't think a formal complaint would do any good. A company that would institute such a policy isn't going to be swayed by one, and if you're talking about a formal complaint to an outside agency, there's no agency that regulates it because it's not against the law.

Besides, do you really want to work for a company that would have such a policy?
thanks for your input. I was pretty sure that here wasnt any legal channel to follow in the sistuation but a did want some advice.
The reason I have such a problem with it is, the company is our local hospital which serves a good portion of the surrounding area, and there are alot of very good job oppertunities there. Its kind of like the job that everyone shoots for around here , they exelent benefits and insurance, retirement, vacation, etc. that is why it bothers me so much. And another thing is the tech school im am currently attending has garranteed job placement when you graduate and if you are in a medical type feild they ussually get you a job at the hospital,, I am not finished with all of my classes, but if I cant get in now for jobs that I am well qualified for then whats the point of trying at all, most of the medical jobs in the area fall under the hospital. sorry if it seems like im complaining to much, but I guess I am just letting it bother me two much. thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">