• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this harassment or stalking, and grounds for an RO?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ErinGoBragh

hat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Well, my life just cannot stay boring.

I had a "friend" who I cut off contact with last month because he showed up when it snowed to "shovel out my car as a surprise"- he'd done this once before and was using it as an excuse to make amorous moves towards me. I told him I was uncomfortable with it, and that he needed to stop coming over uninvited, and stop hitting on me.

He ignored that and showed up anyways; while he was there he told my roommate that he was there to score brownie points, from what my two roommates said he stood around and talked with them for a few minutes and then asked to be let into the house while I was still asleep so he could wake me up. They, thank god, refused, and he left, leaving me two messages afterwards saying he had come over to do this.

As soon as my roommate told me what happened, a couple of hours later, I sent him an e-mail stating that he needed to stop calling or coming over, as I'm not interested in him and no longer wanted a friendship. I heard nothing for a couple of weeks, until I got a text from him the opening night of a performance I was in telling me he wanted to come and to break a leg. When I got home, I sent him an e-mail back that I did not wish to see him, and that he needed to stop communicating with me.

The following week, he showed up to performance. I didn't realize this until after it was over while we were in the lobby, as with the lights, I couldn't really see the audience. As soon as I realized this, I asked my ex-boyfriend, who was in the performance with me and is still a good friend, if he could do me a favor and tell the former friend to leave while I went to, essentially, hide. The message was quietly communicated, and the former friend left.

I thought that would be the end of it. Then yesterday, I received a text from this person telling me that they would be out of town for the next two days and that they would be waiting for me at x restaurant at x time on Tuesday.

This, after me having absolutely no communication with this person for a month, other than me telling them to leave me alone or having my ex communicate the message.

Since things are escalating, I would REALLY like to put a stop to this. I cannot block the phone number, because my phone does not have the ability to block numbers, and my service provider (Sprint) does not block numbers if the phone does not allow it. Additionally, my phone number is tied to my business, so I would rather not change this, and now that this is becoming him physically showing up to places I am present at, I am not sure blocking the number would fix the situation anyway.

I am sorry for the book, but I don't think this is your typical RO situation. In New York State, is this sufficient grounds for harassment or stalking to try to obtain an RO?

Please let me know. I want to address this today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">