• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this illegal or just poor business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bowlergt

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I work at a new car dealership. I recently leased a new truck from a different dealership only because we do not sell that brand here. Just recieved my paycheck with a note stating I forfeit part of my bonus for purchasing a vehicle elsewhere. Is this legal? (It does state this in our handbook but I missed it in there but just because its written doesnt make it right?) Also there is another employee who also bought a truck from the same place and he got to keep his full bonus. Do I have a case or what should I do?

FlyingRon

The fact you didn't read the policies with regard to the bonus isn't the companies problem. It's not illegal or poor business. You are lucky to still have your job. I know some dealers and other businesses (beer and soft drink distributorship) where you'd lose your job for using the competitor's product.

Unless you can show that the favoritism to the other employee at your expense was due to race, religion, etc... you've got nothing to complain about there either. Employers are free in most cases to play favorites.

Bowlergt

The favoritism would be because hes the only one here who can do his job description and they are afraid to lose him. Dont see how it could be legal to be "punished" for buying something we dont sell. I needed a truck and work at a "luxury" dealer (mercedes and volvo) who dont make trucks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether you see it or not, it's legal. The law doesn't care if you get a bonus of any kind or not. You've not described anything that would give you any kind of legal recourse.

Bowlergt

Whether you see it or not, it's legal. The law doesn't care if you get a bonus of any kind or not. You've not described anything that would give you any kind of legal recourse.
Thanks, didnt know if it matter that another employee in the exact same situation got to keep his when I dont

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not unless you have sufficient proof, and I mean proof that will hold up in a court of law, that the other employee got the full bonus and you didn't BECAUSE OF your, or his, race, religion, national origin and so on; not because he's the boss or he's been here longer than you or the policy has changed or his father in law is a big deal at Corporate. They're allowed to treat employees differently as long as it's not for a reason specifically prohibited by law.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The favoritism would be because hes the only one here who can do his job description and they are afraid to lose him. Dont see how it could be legal to be "punished" for buying something we dont sell. I needed a truck and work at a "luxury" dealer (mercedes and volvo) who dont make trucks
Google "mercedes truck".

Perhaps if you'd discussed your "need" for a truck with your employer, they might have found a way for you to comply with rules in the handbook.

Bowlergt

I did discuss it, we also sell Lincoln (and no Lincoln dealers can not get new Fords) and he helped me get a Lincoln/ford discount pin number so I could use it at a Ford dealer for a new Ford truck. He knew I was doing it and never said anything

Bowlergt

He is the general manager of the dealership, but just found out this all came from the only one above him the Owner

Bowlergt

I appreciate the feedback, I just now know what kind of company Ive been working for for 3 years. Bad part is I did buy my last car from here, no appreciation. Thanks everyone

Sponsored Ad