• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Insurance Forgery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OKIEDOKEY

My dad/mom/grandma drew up a burial insurance in 1996. My grandma said she had separate insurance for her burial with her retirement plan, so after about 5 months, dad cancelled the policy. Dad passed away 1998, my grandma in 1999. The insurance sent the $1800.00 check to my grandma's mailbox (even though she had already passed away). The check was made out to my dad and/or my grandma ( I believe). My dad's sister, as executor of grandma's will (which has been in probate for 4 years now) took that to the bank and cashed the check. I called the insurance company and they said the accounts had been closed and they can't tell me anything on the policy. My dad's sister then tried to tell the judge that SHE had to pay for grandma's burial (which was proven by my attorney that the retirement paid for the whole thing). I want to know how I can get a copy of this check showing signature and date it was cashed. I believe there is some forgery here (she's known for it), and to get my mom her $1800.00 since she and dad were the only two that paid into the policy in the first place. How can I do this?

ALawyer

Ask your state insurance department for help, but even if you get a copy of the check, you may have a long way to go to get the family member to pay up, and I doubt the insurance company would willingly pay twice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">