• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cnygren

Washington State
AT&T Wireless cancelled my sons health insurance when he turned 19. They never contacted me...they said they left mesages I never recieved and 1 phone they said they left a message on has no voice mail or answering machine. They never even tried my work number, nor the mail service, nor my e-mail. He graduate a year late and went straight from high school to college. They have cut him off from the date of graduation till the start date at college. My son has type 1 diabetes. Is this legal?

Beth3

The employer isn't required to give you special notice when a dependent reaches the age limits of the plan. On a practical basis, AT&T has thousands upon thousands of employees - do you really think they can call each one individually and say "Hey, I see Billy Jr. just turned 18 and I heard he has no immediate plans to continue on in school full-time, so I'd just thought you should know he's no longer a dependent on your insurance plan through work."

When you first enrolled in the plan, you were given an insurance booklet/plan document that explained all the provisions of the plan, including the definitions of what constitues an "eligible dependent" and the fact that if a dependent no longer qualifies for coverage, YOU may contact the Plan Administrator and request COBRA continuation.

Now what you need to do is get hold of that insurance booklet and/or Plan Document and see whether the company actually can drop him from coverage. The particulars vary from Plan to Plan but often, a child will continue to be an eligible depedent until his/her 25th birthday as long as they are a full-time student and as long as they are primarly dependent upon their parents for support. I'd be surprised that your son graduating a year late from high school would disqualify him for dependent status but you need to read the exact language in the document to find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">