• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnmatthew

I am from the state of California, and am currently a teacher at a high school.

The superintendant, whom is in his second year on the job there, has decided that the classified (Ie, anyone not a teacher) employee's have different levels of funding towards their insurance.

We have a three tier system, plan 1, 2 and 3. For sake of the example, plan 1 has a 11000 cap, plan 2 has a 10000 cap, and plan 3 has a 9000 cap. The way the school used to deal with insurance, is that we all had the highest cap, ie, 11000 and could choose one of the lower plans, so as not to have to pay anything out of pocket if the amount of insurance was greater than the money provided by the district. This year, the super has decided that whatever plan you had last year, the person has that much money towards his insurance this year. So someone who could have one year of insurance, could have 2000 dollars MORE to spend on his insurance than someone who has been there for 40 years.

What I am asking, is it legal to have a completely random amount of money provided to employee's for benifits, when they have the same hours and perform the same duties.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether or not it is legal for different classes of employees to have different benefits, the answer is yes, it is.

shawnmatthew

To clarify my question. Is it legal for employer's to give different levels of funding towards benifits to people who have the same job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends upon the criteria for the difference.

There is nothing illegal about the plan you have described if I am understanding you correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">