• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Millersp1

What is the name of your state? NEBRASKA
User A collects commercial cds from different people including themself, rips one or two songs per cd and makes a compilation CD and burns 15 copies and distributes them to band as "rehearsal cds". I say no, they refuse to believe me quoting "educational use". If it were a non-significant portion I would agree, they are ripping the whole tune. PLEASE SITE SPECIFIC SECTIONS OF THE LAW, if you can. Thank you for your help.

divgradcurl

Millersp1 said:
What is the name of your state? NEBRASKA
User A collects commercial cds from different people including themself, rips one or two songs per cd and makes a compilation CD and burns 15 copies and distributes them to band as "rehearsal cds". I say no, they refuse to believe me quoting "educational use". If it were a non-significant portion I would agree, they are ripping the whole tune. PLEASE SITE SPECIFIC SECTIONS OF THE LAW, if you can. Thank you for your help.
No, it's not legal. This violates the copyright holder's right to control "reproduction" and "distribution" of his or her's works.

The law is here: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#106

Just FYI, if User A owned a bunch of CD's, ripped the CD's to his computer, then created a compilation disk from his ripped collection, that is totally legal, under various code sections and caselaw. Even the making of the 15 copies is arguably legal. When he gave the copies out, however, that's when he crossed the line and violated both the reproduction and distribution rights of the copyright holder.

Of course, from a practical standpoint, unless he is going to continue to make these CD's and give them away, or sell them, it's unlikely that any copyright holder would bother to come after him -- but from a strict legal perspective, he is infringing copyright.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">