• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjohanna

What is the name of your state? California

I returned to work after an fmla and met with a return to work supervisor. In order to ask for an accomodation I had to have my immediate supervisor attend the meeting as well. We change supervisors at least 4x a year at that rate every supervisor in the building would know some of my personal medical history. Is it legal for my company to force the attendence of my immediate supervisor when discussing medical information?

las365

In order to ask for an accomodation I had to have my immediate supervisor attend the meeting as well.
As a practical matter, it would seem that if your employer is going to make accomodations for your medical condition, it is important that your immediate supervisor know what the accomodations are and why they are needed. Have you asked the return to work supervisor or the HR dept what the company's privacy policy is in regard to supervisors' knowledge of employee's medical information?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you suggesting that your employer should accomodate your condition but leave your immediate supervisor in ignorance of the reasons why?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">