• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sefulu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.

Hi, My sisters who just turned 17 years old is in love with a 26 year old guy. In the beginning, He didnt know her age because of her maturity. When I found out, I was really upset but I figured that age is nothing but a number. He is a respectful guy and my sister said that they are just really good friends, and no sexual things are taking place. I wanted to know if this is legal. I know allot of married couples who are 9 years apart and they live happy lives. Is this legal for my sister to date this 26 year old guy. I just want to make sure no laws are being broken. He is a really great guy and treats my sister with the upmost respect. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

Hi, My sisters who just turned 17 years old is in love with a 26 year old guy.

**A: you got 2 sisters? Are they twins?

##########
In the beginning, He didnt know her age because of her maturity. When I found out, I was really upset but I figured that age is nothing but a number. He is a respectful guy and my sister said that they are just really good friends, and no sexual things are taking place. I wanted to know if this is legal. I know allot of married couples who are 9 years apart and they live happy lives. Is this legal for my sister to date this 26 year old guy. I just want to make sure no laws are being broken. He is a really great guy and treats my sister with the upmost respect. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: so what is your question?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no laws in any state limiting who may DATE. Only who may have sexual contact (not limited to intercourse).

However, if I may say so, any 26 year old who wants to date a 17 year old is not interested in her maturity. Age may be just a number but it's a number with teeth.

sefulu

You're right about that... My dad keeps threatening that he will call the Cops on him because to him its against the law. I told my dad that he will only push my sister away from him rather than try to gain her love and respect. He's weird. One day he allows them to go out for dinner. He allows them to go out for their birthday of course with a shaperone every time. And then he changes his mind. I know that once she turns 18. he has no say so. What should my dad do?... In 10 years from now, their age will mean nothing.

Last edited:

CdwJava

Statistically, in 10 years they won't be together ... so, you're right, it won't make a difference.

- Carl

Last edited:

sefulu

Why wouldn't they be together? I know allot of married couple with the same difference of years who are happily married.

Hot Topic

Ask yourself why a 26 year old is interested in a teenager rather than someone his own age. There's something a little creepy about a guy who has to say, "I know she's a teenager, but she's very mature for her age."

Take a little poll, and you'll probably discover that most of the teenage populace thinks they're mature for their age.

CdwJava

Why wouldn't they be together? I know allot of married couple with the same difference of years who are happily married.
The statistics on couples that start off dating at this age range at this level of maturity indicates that there is a VERY HIGH probability they will not be together in a few years. There are a host of reasons that I could articulate as to why they might be attracted to each other right now, but in a few short years SHE will change - physically, emotionally, and in maturity. This usually causes a change in the dynamic of the relationship and the parties tend to drift apart or pull apart in conflict if they have been stuck together through marriage or a child.

The couples I know that have that age disparity tended to have met when they were adults and when the younger (almost always the female) was in college or a career and NOT still a teenager in high school.

- Carl

cyberseek

26 year with 17 year old I am a parent

Look, there is something wrong with a mature 26 year old wanting to be with a 17 year old. When a 26 year old can't see what is wrong with that, then there is something wrong with him. A 17 year old girl is not mature enough to understand that. I am very doubtful there won't be any sex either. There are laws about that, and as a parent I know that if I saw this going on, I would take charge even if it did push my daughter away.

As a brother or a sister, you should not be encouraging this, but I do understand you not wanting to push your sister away. But, being the "bad guy" is usually a parents job. That is what they are supposed to do. I do not blame your father.

A 26 year old man should be mature enough to know why he should not be in this "type" of relationship. I have seen the mentality, and quite honestly they are not really as good as they appear to be. Your sister is too young to see this.

People who are married are older when they make a decision to marry when there is a large distance of age between them. They are not 17 and 26 years of age.

There is a reason why this is not good, and experience is the best advice in this situation.
As her brother/sister of this young lady, you should be looking out for her and keeping a close eye out on what this man is really about. Don't fool yourself just because it easier to do.

I am a parent, and I used to be 17 too. You don't need legal advice, you need black and white advice on how not to think this is okay. If you want to help your sister, keep an eye on this so called nice man. Do not believe there is not sex until there is not relationship at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hi, My sisters who just turned 17 years old is in love with a 26 year old guy. In the beginning, He didnt know her age because of her maturity. When I found out, I was really upset but I figured that age is nothing but a number. He is a respectful guy and my sister said that they are just really good friends, and no sexual things are taking place. I wanted to know if this is legal. I know allot of married couples who are 9 years apart and they live happy lives. Is this legal for my sister to date this 26 year old guy. I just want to make sure no laws are being broken. He is a really great guy and treats my sister with the upmost respect. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I tend to believe that he didn't realize her age because of his LACK of maturity...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">