• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renaec

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
If a warant officer is at the door of the house that is not legally your home but you stay there, He said he had a warrant I told him to show me he did not and then he came in the house anyway to search---right or wrong. I specifically told him not to come in.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

He does not have to debate the issue with you at the door. I am not certain o fTexas law, but he likely has to present or leave a copy of the warrant at the residence, but he'd be a fool to discuss it at the door if he was in possession of a valid warrant because there are some serious safety issues that might arise - not to mention a delay to allow for the destruction of evidence.

If he had a warrant, he was almost certainly good. The debate happens on court, not in the doorway.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Either he had a warrant or he didn't. If he did then obviously he was in the right.

Have your attorney deal with the issue in court.

CavemanLawyer

In Texas you do not have to physically have a copy of the warrant on you to execute it. The law requires that, if the person requests to see the warrant, that it be shown to them within a reasonable amount of time AFTER they are arrested. In most cases, the officer doesn't bring the arrest warrant when they try to pick someone up. Now a search warrant is a different issue, that is presented to the occupant and left at the door if they aren't present.

Is this a warrant for a felony? If so the officer is permitted to enter your residence even forcefully if they have reason to believe you are there. If it is not your home then the homeowner could have a cause of action if there is any damage done to the property but its not going to have any effect on your criminal case.

CdwJava

I was thinking search warrant, not arrest warrant.

Depending on the state, if the arrest warrant is served at a location NOT the residence of the wanted person, a separate search warrant may be required if consent to enter is denied.

dave33

In this situation there are a couple different things to consider.What are you trying to resolve? Evidence suppression,civil issue, or in department complaint?Legally I do not think it should matter,but it might.goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">