• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I sold my trailer because i was behind on the lot rent. I informed my trailer park i had to sell in order to pay them the back lot rent. The park has known for over 3 months i sold the trailer. They told me they denied the application who i sold the trailer to. The park itself is holding me reaponsible for lot rent payments still. I also received an email from the Park stating they terminated my lease. Am i legally reaponsible to continue to pay the rent?

FlyingRon

You didn't remove the trailer from the park when the lease was terminated. They're allowed to continue to charge you until the space is rentable again. The only question is why they refused the new tenant and whether that was in bad faith with regard to mitigate the problem.

Eekamouse

I sold my trailer because i was behind on the lot rent. I informed my trailer park i had to sell in order to pay them the back lot rent. The park has known for over 3 months i sold the trailer. They told me they denied the application who i sold the trailer to. The park itself is holding me reaponsible for lot rent payments still. I also received an email from the Park stating they terminated my lease. Am i legally reaponsible to continue to pay the rent?
It's not just that you sell your trailer, the person you sell it to has to be approved by the park before you are released from your obligation to the park. If the buyer has bad credit or a bunch of unlawful detainers or doesn't make enough money to qualify, the park has the right to reject the buyer. You have to sell to someone who can qualify for tenancy in the park or the buyer has to remove the home from the park. It doesn't sound like you followed the requirements so yes, you are responsible for the space rent until this gets resolved.
You pay your space rent weekly? How odd. It's usually by the month.

LdiJ

You didn't remove the trailer from the park when the lease was terminated. They're allowed to continue to charge you until the space is rentable again. The only question is why they refused the new tenant and whether that was in bad faith with regard to mitigate the problem.
Except that he doesn't own the trailer anymore, someone else does. They terminated his lease. I do not see how they can hold him responsible for rent when he no longer owns the trailer and therefore has no legal right to move it.

I suspect some malfeasance on the park owners part. I suspect that they want to take over the trailer themselves (for free) so that they can get rent for both the lot and the trailer. They are hoping that the owner of the trailer will just walk away from it. That is actually kind of a common scam.

PayrollHRGuy

Except that he doesn't own the trailer anymore, someone else does. They terminated his lease. I do not see how they can hold him responsible for rent when he no longer owns the trailer and therefore has no legal right to move it.
Because the trailer hasn't been moved.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Darn those contractual obligations...

But, you're right - termination of the lease is probably the first step in acquiring ownership of the trailer...and I don't think it's a scam at all.

FlyingRon

He never vacated the property. It means squat as to whether he deeded the property away. I suspect the "termination" didn't happen until after he missed a rent payment.

No one is staying in the trailer and that includes the new owner. I dont know if i made sense in my orginal post but trailer has been sold since Oct 2018. The park knows i sold it. I paid them with the money i got from selling it. They are still charging me rent and they know i do not reside there any and havent resided there since July 2018.

FlyingRon

You residing their is irrelevant, you never moved the trailer (whether you owned it or not) out of the space you leased. It's still an encumbrance keeping the landlord from obtaining rent from someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">