• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in South Carolina. I have been a ER RN for 24 years, working now at a job for 4 years with no absenteeism, call outs, med errors etc....In November, my new manager who has been a nurse for 6 years and is African American called me in off bereavement leave and stated that I had made racist statements because I described a new co worker as the little black girl. I am 6'2 and that is not a typo. When asked if I had met the new employee by a co-worker, I put out my hand to show height from the floor and asked if the person was talking about the little black girl. I explained to my new boss that it was descriptive, not racial but she had already turned me into HR. HR, ended up doing nothing about it (they aren't idiots) and nothing was done. Then, I left to take a work from home job and only stayed on PRN. I only want to work partial shifts as I work 6a to 230 every day for my home job. She then decided that she didn't want people picking up partial shifts and had it not been for my co-workers giving me hours, I would not have worked at all. Then she started giving out jobs that came open based on who she liked and kept changing the requirements...making it impossible for me to take one even though I have seniority. The final blow? I had two teenagers aged 15 and 17 check in to the ER and they complained I was rude. One teenager stated that they didn't want to check in after hearing that a co-pay was likely and they were going to go to the health department. As teaching is part of my job I told this person so be sure to get blood work as well to check for Hep C and HIV. BTW, No one else was at the desk when this conversation took place. I was SENT HOME and taken off the work schedule for the last two weeks while my boss, in her words, did a "very serious investigation". Finally, I get a call today telling me to come in and go to the administrative conference room at 330 pm. That only means one thing. She plans to terminate me. How can I be terminated on the complaints of two teenagers when I have never recieved any kind of verbal or written warnings or any other type of reprimand in my entire career? FYI, I am her only jewish employee and I am beginning to think there is reverse racism going on here. I would appreciate any thoughts.

commentator

The other post provides more information about the original racial slurs conversation situation and HR response, in which the situation was apparently resolved. So you were since then working PRN. You're being denied the hours and shifts you want. Now, after more complaints, this time from teenagers, you're being told, probably, that your services are no longer required here at this place of employment, even PRN. We assume this is a non union situation. What do you think there is that would make it illegal for them to terminate you?

quincy

This thread was reported. Additional questions and comments can be added to the first thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">