• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maryley

What is the name of your state?CA
Hello,

If you have lost your lease for your business and you are relocating and have a sign near your register stating your landlord has decided not to renew your lease and you will be re-locating is that illegal? Is that libel?

We have many, many upset customers and they keep asking us why he would do this to us. He is putting a bank in our location according to the landlord himself but we don't know why he made this decision since we are a successful business in this center. We have his BUSINESS address and BUSINESS phone number posted for our customers to ask him questions and express their unhappiness with his decision, should they choose to do so. We also stress in writing that IF you contact him you should of course treat him with respect. His business name and business address is a matter of public record. You can get both at the City.

My question is, is this illegal? Would that be libel? It is the truth. He has decided not to renew our lease. We are not calling him names or saying any rude, we are just stating the fact and telling people to sign our mailing list to keep them up to date on our new location. We feel he has greatly underestimated how much the community loves our business and the only way to let him know that was for the community to tell him themselves.

Thanks

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not illegal and it is not even remotely libel.

Libel is when someone makes a false statement about you that is broadcast to an audience and which causes you to suffer damages.

Maryley

Thank you for your response, Cbg. Does he have any legal right to make us take his name and business address down?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Darned if I know. I can't think of why he would, but I've no idea what state or local statutes might apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">