• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this Normal in Big Comapnies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torakki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I work for one of the largest banks in the world and we have been getting some new rules in our department regarding "planned time off" and "unplanned time off" (formerly "vacation time" and "sick days"). We've been told, if it's slow at work and we ask if we can take half day off, it will now be "unplanned time" (sick time) and not vacation but if management approches us, if we would like to leave early, then it can be called "planned time off". Here is th e-mail we also received regarding this:

All,

This is a reminder. Per "managers name" meeting regarding the Planned time off during low volumes, we will only entertain planned time off if management approaches you due to low volume. There is always work in both Debit and ATM we can work in case there is not enough we can use that time for cross training. If you want to leave for the day or not come in at all for whatever reason in that case it would be classified as Unplanned time off.

Thank You for your understanding.

Management

In addition, they just decreased unplanned days to 6 per year from 12 and start the warning process on the 6th event. (3 warnings and "bye bye") I'm just curious if this is normal practice? Seems a little double standard to me. But I'm happy to be employeed.
Thanks!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I work for one of the largest banks in the world and we have been getting some new rules in our department regarding "planned time off" and "unplanned time off" (formerly "vacation time" and "sick days"). We've been told, if it's slow at work and we ask if we can take half day off, it will now be "unplanned time" (sick time) and not vacation but if management approches us, if we would like to leave early, then it can be called "planned time off". Here is th e-mail we also received regarding this:

All,

This is a reminder. Per "managers name" meeting regarding the Planned time off during low volumes, we will only entertain planned time off if management approaches you due to low volume. There is always work in both Debit and ATM we can work in case there is not enough we can use that time for cross training. If you want to leave for the day or not come in at all for whatever reason in that case it would be classified as Unplanned time off.

Thank You for your understanding.

Management

In addition, they just decreased unplanned days to 6 per year from 12 and start the warning process on the 6th event. (3 warnings and "bye bye") I'm just curious if this is normal practice? Seems a little double standard to me. But I'm happy to be employeed.
Thanks!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In these unprecedented and tough economic times I am not sure that "normal" even exists any more.

Yes you are lucky to have a job; and there is nothing illegal with their new policy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Doesn't matter whether it's normal or not. What matters is whether it is legal or not. It is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">