• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this NORMAL insurance procedure?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarolinaMelBell

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? South Carolina

This is a case where I had an uncle to die in an accident last year. He had an accidental policy. He had changed his beneficiary form to make my mother and his only grandson, the beneficiaries of this policy instead of his 2 sons for which he had estranged relationships. After his death, the sons immediately began contacting the insurance company to protest payment to the designated beneficiaries. The insurance company filed an interpleader complaint wtih the court and have now released their obligation to decide who to pay the proceeds, leaving it up to the court to make this decision instead. My question is, is this normal procedure? I have researched this and I can't even find anything on this subject. I feel like instead of what my mother is having to be involved in now with the courts, should never have happened. I feel like the named beneficiaries should have been awarded the proceeds and if the sons had a problem with that should have had to sue the beneficiaries individually for the proceeds. I feel the insurance company is responsible for this whole ordeal and since I can't find anything in my research about this, I am beginning to think I am right. Do you have any suggestions or comments? I truly feel that the insurance company should be at fault here for not paying the proceeds to the named beneficiaries, and my real question in my own post on this subject is does someone with more insurance knowledge agree, or know about this happening regularly, as I cannot even find anything on this subject in all the research I have done. Do you have any comments or sugestions? Have you heard of this before? Is this the usual practice of insurance companies to do this?

The insurance company filed an interpleader complaint wtih the court and have now released their obligation to decide who to pay the proceeds, leaving it up to the court to make this decision instead. My question is, is this normal procedure?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">