• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this re-aging?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nobody

What is the name of your state? Tx

I have posted here before and have been reading the site for some time. I am currently just about finished paying off all of my old chargeoffs. They are all beyond SOL for sure. I have subscribed to MYFICO monitoring service for about a year as well as purchased hard copies from the credit bureaus over the last year.

I had an alert 2 weeks ago that a collection account changed or was added. When i looked at my report I found 1 of the last 3 chargeoffs I have to pay was gone. In its place was a new collection agency. I am assuming it is for the same debt since the old one was removed at the same time even though the amount, and original creditor is different, the account number is really close.

This debt has always only been reported on TU and the collection has always reported a "Date Assigned of 1/2003" and TU reports this will fall off my report on 3/2008. The new collection account was added to all the bureaus and shows a DOFD as 1/2003 and a date assigned of 8/2006. Is this not a clear case of re-aging? I have documented proof of the DOFD and I don't understand why they did this. It has been aged over a year!!

I don't care that a new agency has the debt - if they would have listed it properly I would have paid them when they came up on my schedule to be paid. Up to this point all collection agencies have been on the up and up with me and 8/11 have been paid. I know this is not a new debt because since early 2002 I have not had any new bad debt as the situation that created it is long over.

I sent my very first "validate this debt" letter since the amount and original creditor seem to be made up. Any other advice on dealing with this would be appreciated. At this point they will not be paid.

Last edited:

K'Ta

Dispute the reported line with the CRA's. That's who you need to talk to. The collection agency doesn't care, they just want you to pay.

I believe you can dispute online with all three of them. I know I've done it with Equifax before.

bdancer

If the DOFD is still the same, it has not been re-aged. It's just went to a new collection agency on the re-assigned date.

nobody

The new collection is taking the last collection agencies "date assigned" and reporting it as the DOFD which is clearly wrong. So I guess it is re-aging for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">