• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this really legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jodieelsasser

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington

Im trying to figure out if this is really legal. I have been working for a company for a year now. I am paying out $250.00 every two weeks for health insurance for my family .I was notified today at work that my benefits will be ending on april first and there will be no further insurance through my company available to me. These people have given me 1 week to find insurance. should employers be able to give proper notice to their workers or is this exceptable. I wasnt given a clear answer today while talking with the boss. It all seems a bit rediculous.He also told me that insurance will be taken once again out of my check this week, but shouldnt I be getting some kind of a rebate check instead? who do I call?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal for the employer to drop coverage, and to the best of my knowledge there is no particular time frame they have to give you to find alternate coverage first. You are free to check with the state insurance commission to see if there is some kind of state ruling of which I am not aware.

As for the deductions, you are assuming that the premiums always roll forward; that is not always the case. Sometimes they roll backwards. In fact, in my experience, it rolls backward more often than forward. So it's quite possible that a deduction taken out on April 1 covers March 24-April 1, rather than April 1 - April 8.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">