• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this right?

• Thread starter Jobless in Michigan
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jobless in Michigan

I was fired almost 6 months ago. I was put onto 3rd shift against my will, but never complained. I had been trying to call in on a Monday but nobody could cover my shift. I had to go in sick, and ended up falling asleep the last 15 minutes of my shift. I was fired exactly a week after that. I have called and tried to get a copy of my contract and papers regarding my termination but everytime I am told "They are (his), you can't have them." Is this right?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I don't know Michian's laws since I practice in California. If your laws are like ours though, then you as the former employee have a right to a free copy of your employment/personnel record. That right is only for those documents that you have signed. The rest of the documents, you have a right to view them at a reasonable time and place, such as at Human Relations during normal business hours. To contact an employment law attorney near you that can assist you in this matter, go to attorneypages.com.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">