• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help202

What is the name of your state? Florida

My sister just paid a lawyer 2000.00 to represent her in 2 misdemeanor charges she got. The state is wanting to give her 60 days in jail. My sister has a job her own place and she can't afford to go to jail. She asked if maybe she could have probation and they said no so she hired a lawyer. Anyway she has been to court on two different occasions and neither time the lawyer she hired showed up. My sister says he sends a paralegal or his assistant she can't remember what the person said they actually were. They don't get up and argue the case or anything. So she had to tell them yesterday she wanted to take the case to trial because they were still offering the 60 days. Now her lawyer is telling her to just take the 60 days thats why she hired him and paid him 2000.00 she could of kept her public defender for 60 days. Also she got a invoice in the mail from her lawyer for 4000.00 for the jury trial. He hasn't even earned the 2000.00 she gave him does any of this sound right? Is there anyway she could get her money back from him and get someone else he hasn't even showed up in court either time so what has he done to even earn any of what she paid him?

Dandy Don

Was the $2,000 a retainer fee? Did she sign anything in writing to hire his services (a fee agreement or contract)?

help202

She signed I guess you would call it a contract that says 2000.00 to represent her on her charges and if it goes to trial it is 2000.00 everyday of the trial. She isn't saying she isn't guilty she just wants him to get her probation or maybe a fine which of course he led her to believe would be no problem. He didn't make any promises but he more or less said he could get them to do either probation or just fined like it was no problem.

Dandy Don

She should go to his office and ask for the money back and if he won't pay it warn him that she will file a complaint against him with the state bar. His failure to show up in court is inexecusable!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">