• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this true kinda makes sense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?PA
I’m from Philly, but moved to Maryland. I broke my femur in 2017 & have been seeing a surgeon every year due to mechanical issues & infections etc. Last July I got an infection & haven’t walked since. I’m toe touch weight bearing using a walker. I’ve had 4 debridments because the infection is hanging around.
In October I left Maryland & returned to Philly because I can’t work & have no income, but I was still seeing my surgeon in DC. A couple weeks ago my Aetna thru work terminated while I was in the hospital in DC. In January I did apply for Medicaid in Philly. I can only use it in Pennsylvania unless there’s an emergency then I can use it anywhere in the state.
Tuesday I was discharged to a rehab in King of Prussia, Pa
My drain came out Friday. I went to 2 hospitals thinking I could find an orthopedic surgeon & have em put the drain back in. The 1st hospital didn’t have an orthopedic surgeon , they took ekg, X-ray & CT Scan. They said they saw the end of the drain, but no infection. I still don’t know if I believe it. The 2nd hospital had an orthopedic surgeon. He told me I have to return to the Dr in DC because he has to continue treating me due to the drain, infection & I’m still a patient @ the DC hospital. This Dr told me they have to treat me because there’s still work left to do. I also have an antibiotic spacer in my knee & I have no Dr’s in Philly @ all!
My concern is I no longer have my Aetna insurance & I can’t use my Medicaid in DC only in Pa.
Is the 2nd Dr correct? Can I return to DC insurance or no insurance? Will the DC hospital turn me away if I return there?
Thanks in advance

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?PA
I’m from Philly, but moved to Maryland. I broke my femur in 2017 & have been seeing a surgeon every year due to mechanical issues & infections etc. Last July I got an infection & haven’t walked since. I’m toe touch weight bearing using a walker. I’ve had 4 debridments because the infection is hanging around.
In October I left Maryland & returned to Philly because I can’t work & have no income, but I was still seeing my surgeon in DC. A couple weeks ago my Aetna thru work terminated while I was in the hospital in DC. In January I did apply for Medicaid in Philly. I can only use it in Pennsylvania unless there’s an emergency then I can use it anywhere in the state.
Tuesday I was discharged to a rehab in King of Prussia, Pa
My drain came out Friday. I went to 2 hospitals thinking I could find an orthopedic surgeon & have em put the drain back in. The 1st hospital didn’t have an orthopedic surgeon , they took ekg, X-ray & CT Scan. They said they saw the end of the drain, but no infection. I still don’t know if I believe it. The 2nd hospital had an orthopedic surgeon. He told me I have to return to the Dr in DC because he has to continue treating me due to the drain, infection & I’m still a patient @ the DC hospital. This Dr told me they have to treat me because there’s still work left to do. I also have an antibiotic spacer in my knee & I have no Dr’s in Philly @ all!
My concern is I no longer have my Aetna insurance & I can’t use my Medicaid in DC only in Pa.
Is the 2nd Dr correct? Can I return to DC insurance or no insurance? Will the DC hospital turn me away if I return there?
Thanks in advance
Did you call either the DC hospital or the DC doctor to ask them if you can continue treatment? If so, what did they tell you?

Did you call either the DC hospital or the DC doctor to ask them if you can continue treatment? If so, what did they tell you?
Actually they phoned me & said they don’t accept my state insurance & they had to cancel the appointment I had for the 24th

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What model insurance did/do you have? (HMO, POS, PPO)? How long ago did your DC insurance end?

I’m now in a rehab in King Of Prussia, Pa
When I spoke to the nurse who works with my surgeon, she was @ a loss as to whether I can continue seeing him or not.
The doctors here said they can’t touch me or touch another surgeon’s patient because I’m still being treated by the DC doctor. This makes sense because the DC doctor is planning another surgery.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I’m now in a rehab in King Of Prussia, Pa
When I spoke to the nurse who works with my surgeon, she was @ a loss as to whether I can continue seeing him or not.
The doctors here said they can’t touch me or touch another surgeon’s patient because I’m still being treated by the DC doctor. This makes sense because the DC doctor is planning another surgery.
Yours is not a legal question. You cannot force the doctor(s) to treat you in your situation.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If this was work-related insurance and it only ended four weeks ago, you're still in time to elect COBRA. It will not be cheap, but it will be cheaper than a hospital stay. And since it is a POS plan, it will provide at least out of network care no matter where you are.

If this was work-related insurance and it only ended four weeks ago, you're still in time to elect COBRA. It will not be cheap, but it will be cheaper than a hospital stay. And since it is a POS plan, it will provide at least out of network care no matter where you are.
I haven’t worked in 2 yrs. I have no income, therefore I can’t afford COBRA.
I’m just confused because the doctors here said they won’t touch me & the DC Dr said he’ll find me a Dr in Pa.
in the mean time my drain has come out, I have an antibiotic spacer in my knee, cause of the infection I have & I’m supposed to be getting another surgery to put my knee back in.

Yours is not a legal question. You cannot force the doctor(s) to treat you in your situation.
I just want to figure out who’s going to treat me. My drain came out, I have an antibiotic spacer where my knee should be & it was planned by the DC Dr to put my knee back in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">