• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Welfare Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laughingowl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I don't even know if this is the right topic to post on, but if it's not please re-direct me so I can post this in the appropriate spot, otherwise on with it:

I have an uncle and his family that I think are possibly committing some kind of fraud with welfare. It's him, his wife, and their 2 adult children living in the same house. None of them have jobs or even want to attempt at finding one. Several years ago (about 10 or 11 years ago) my uncle got hurt at his job and then applied for some sort of pain management and workman's comp. Since that time he's never had a job, his wife worked up until a year ago and then got fired for stealing medication.

The "children" are 20 and 25. One of them has applied for disability for "mental" illness yet he's worked before with no problems. He has been in and out of jail because of loitering and drug possession (this was a year or 2 ago though). The other one has never been evaluated for any sort of mental illness, but she does these outrageous things. For example, she recently charged things to my name as well as my grandfather's name without permission. (I don't know whether to press charges or not at this point.) She's abused animals, she's very manipulative, and she's even tried to get her father into legal trouble with molestation charges that were later to be found false.

What I'm getting at, is they live off the disability from the son and the food stamps they applied for. Like I said, they won't work and they expect everything from everyone. Their always coming over to my house asking for money and often don't take no for an answer. The daughter even brags to me how they don't have to pay for food and they can get all the food they want for free. To me, they are just leeching off the government when they could be working and supporting themselves.

My question is can they get in trouble for doing this and if so how do I go about reporting them?

Any suggestions or comments would be great.

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

if you honestly suspect any type of fraud, then by all means, call the welfare fraud department with your concerns.

from the sounds of it, it sounds as if dad might have qualified for disability if he isn't collecting workers compensation. he wouldn't be collecting state welfare, possibly.

not everyone who works is always capable of working on a long term basis. it is quite possible the son tried. there are plenty of people with aquired disabilities, or unattended disabilities that worked it's course without proper attention.

and quite honestly, every thing you have mentioned so far, you have no legal proof. only what you think and what they tell you. or chose to tell you.

it's easy to say no. if they are stealing from you, report it. otherwise, don't allow them to be on your property.

you should report the daughter for identity theft. you aren't helping the situation by not reporting it. you are only making it worse. she might actually get the help she needs if you do something about it.

commentator

Welfare fraud isn't the venue it sounds like you need to take this through. Yes, it's possible the uncle is on disability. It's possible they are getting food stamps. That isn't a crime. Misreporting income or work for pay is welfare fraud. Creating imaginary people who live with them who draw welfare is fraud.

But stealing is a crime. If they are stealing, or charging things on your credit cards, press charges. If they are harrassing you, "...won't take no for an answer," press charges. You can't expect the government or some unidentified entity to punish them just because you don't think they are good people.

ecmst12

None of this is any of your business other then the identity theft, which you absolutely need to prosecute fully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">