• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this wrong?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hankinsrl

What is the name of your state?
Washington State

I have a class b driver’s license. I am a city bus driver. I used to throw freight.

I applied for a garbage job with a company that was advertising help wanted in the local newspaper. I applied for the job. I had all the qualifications for this job. Only thing is I am a woman. I don't understand why I didn't even get a chance at an interview. I have all the qualifications for this job plus they said they would like you to have a class B license. I have everything. For the first time in my life I feel discriminated against. I can deal with a lot of things but this hurts me. They could have given me a chance at an interview.

I want to go down there and ask them why they didn't give me an interview. Should I down that? What should I do?
:confused:

L

loku

It is impossible to say without knowing all the facts on their side, but from what you say there is a good chance that you have a valid claim against them for discrimination. You can either discuss this with an employment law attorney or file a claim with the Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The material below is from the EEOC:

If you believe you have been discriminated against by an employer, labor union or employment agency when applying for a job or while on the job because of your race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, or believe that you have been discriminated against because of opposing a prohibited practice or participating in an equal employment opportunity matter, you may file a charge of discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

Charges may be filed in person, by mail or by telephone by contacting the nearest EEOC office. If there is not an EEOC office in the immediate area, call toll free 800-669-4000 or 800-669-6820 (TDD) for more information.

H

hankinsrl

Thank you for responding to me. I am not one to cause any problems. I have a great work history and college. I have all the qualifications that they wanted for the job. I even went back down there one week after I turned in my app. to show that I was very interested in the job. My husband is so shocked about this also. He can't believe that I didn't even get a chance at an interview. He is the one telling me also that it must be because I am a woman. People I work with at Metro say the same thing. I hate making comments but everything is pointing that way. Do you think I should go to the company and ask them why they didn't give me an interview? Or just contact a lawyer or eeoc?

Thank you so much

L

loku

If you want to hear a lie, talk to them first; however, there is a slight chance that they had a legitimate reason. If not go to the EEOC or an attorney.

H

hankinsrl

thank you again. I will do that. I will give some updates about it when something happens. Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This does not have to be discrimination by any stretch. In the current economy, I am not exaggerating even slightly when I tell you that employers are receiving as many as 300 applications for a single position. There is no possible way that an employer can interview even all the qualified people when the resumes are coming in, in these numbers. In many cases, the employer will accept the resumes of the first six, ten, twelve, whatever number they decide qualified people who submit them, and not bothering with the rest unless they don't find someone they want to hire in the first batch. If they only look at the first twelve and you happen to be resume number fourteen, that's just your bad luck. And before you ask, yes this is legal, and no it is not prohibited discrimination. It's just the realities of looking for work in this kind of economy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">