• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is use of VoIP legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HBS2018

What is the name of your state? Texas

My boyfriend is using a VoIP number for phone calls which is not linked to him.
Is this legal?

justalayman

Who owns the number or line he is using?

If he pays for the service, then I see nothing illegal in what you’ve written. Being anonymous is not unlawful.

If he is stealing service, then that is the crime.

quincy

Is this legal?
More information would be helpful.

Whose number is it and for what purpose is your boyfriend using it?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

Is this legal?
Let me put it this way: it is not illegal simply to use a VoIP for your voice communications. There are are a variety of internet/computer based voice communications programs one can use, none of which are per se illegal. Nor is it required that the service you use be registered to you in some way.

No matter what voice communication system you use, though, the manner in which you use it may be a crime. So the details of what he's doing matters.

quincy

VoIP providers are being named in lawsuits for being the service platforms for illegal uses by others. West Virginia has a couple of interesting recent cases addressing VoIP provider liability. See Hurley v. Messer for one (I can provide a link later).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">