• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is using an alias illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariv09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello all,

I use an alias for certain amount of my work (Never in any legal form, just word of mouth) somebody told me that I can't have an alias unless it is registered.

For example, can I introduce myself as John Smith, when my real name is John Doe?

I understand that filing any sort of form under a false name is illegal, but I'm just talking about introducing myself under a different name, maybe putting it in a business card.

Thank you!

ecmst12

I can't imagine why. Most of my belly dance teachers would introduce themselves by their stage names and go by that in class, they would just make sure to provide their legal names when it came time for us to write the checks :)

quincy

Many writers and artists use aliases. Theodor Geisel, Samuel Clemens, Dean Koontz and Stephen King, as examples, have all used one or more. There is nothing illegal about using an alias, unless you are using one for some nefarious reason.

Writers and artists will often use an alias when they want to shift genres or when they want to hide their gender or when they want to lend some credibility to their work. Celebrities often use aliases to avoid detection. And writers posting on forums usually use aliases (user IDs) as a way to protect their anonymity.

There are state laws that can require the registering of a business name - if the business is operating under an assumed name (d/b/a) - and for that you would need to file proper documents. And some writers or artists will trademark their stage names or assumed names to protect against their use by others (see United States Patent and Trademark Office Home Page for information).

But as long as the alias is not being used for a fraudulent purpose, there is nothing illegal about using a fictitious name.

An alias, however, will not protect you against defamation claims, or help you avoid a contract clause that prohibits you from doing competing work, and an alias will not allow you to exploit another's name (ie. calling yourself Bill Gates), and it will not help you avoid the payment of taxes. ;)

If in doubt about whether your proposed use of an alias requires registration, you should consult with an attorney in your area - but generally the use of an alias is legal if used for a legal purpose.

Last edited:

tranquility

There are a lot of federal cases regarding the right to call yourself what you want. ("Common law") You can't use the change with the intent to deceive or defraud, but you are allowed. Some states, like California, you can require others to use the name changed at common law. A lot of this jurisprudence in CA came about from civil right lawsuits regarding gender/sex changes and is fairly recent.

I don't know the law in Florida. You can certainly call yourself what you want (without the intent to deceive) per your federal rights, but you might not be able to force others to use that name.

I have a cell phone that I only give my number out to certain people. I use an alias on the account so people trying to contact me cant. If they try to find it they cant. I use my middle name and grandmother's maiden last name. I asked the phone company if I could do that and they said no problem. Also another way to get out of paying for an unlisted number at your home is to do the same thing for the phone book listing. Now who would ever think (or know) someone's maiden last name anyway?

Last edited:

davew128

Bruce Wayne just emailed me. He's concerned about being known as someone else when he wears a cowl and cape. ;)

ariv09

Thank you!

Thanks a lot for your input guys! I can continue to use my alias for legal purposes! Thanks a million!

quincy

If you are going to be Kate Winslet, Isabella, then I am going to be Captain Jack Sparrow.

ARG.

quincy

I spent Saturday drinking grog and plundering. Mostly drinking grog. I didn't realize you were only supposed to speak like a pirate. :eek:

. . . . perhaps an alias is not such a bad idea . . . .

Antigone*

I spent Saturday drinking grog and plundering. Mostly drinking grog. I didn't realize you were only supposed to speak like a pirate. :eek:

. . . . perhaps an alias is not such a bad idea . . . .
I might get in trouble for this but I'm going to ask anyway

. . . how much booty did you come away with:eek::rolleyes::p

quincy

I'd need more grog to reveal that. . . .or perhaps less grog on Saturday to remember that. ;)

As an aside:

Jack Sparrow: You know, for all that pirates are clever-called, we are an unimaginative lot when it comes to naming things.
Gibbs: Aye.
Jack Sparrow: I once sailed with a geezer lost both arms and part of his eye.
Gibbs: What did you call him?
Jack Sparrow: Larry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">