• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IS wife liable for IRS debt husband incurred before marrage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lodierno

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My husband has a debt owed to IRS from before we were married. they garnished his pay, then his social security until he became disabled and now they no longer garnish his SS. If we file separately we will owe the IRS almost a $1000 combined, but if we file jointly we have a $555 refund, which I think they will take. I own the house we live in and am worried they will put a lein on the house or my paycheck( I still work) when they see our joint return., but obviously dont want to owe them the $1000. Can no way afford to pay that amount. SO am I responsible and can they attach my pay and possessions, or should we file jointly? thanks very much for any help you can give.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">