• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ISP - Rerouting local dial numbers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

isimaster

Has anyone had problems with Eartlink.net

Background: I had Netcom for many years, never had any problems. They were bought out by Mindspring, started having problems with calls to local number. I know Mindspring gave the Netcom local number to the Mindspring customers before new equipment was added. I changed from Netcom to Earthlink.

Earlink and Mindspring joined, calling themselves Earthlink. I AM a heavy Internet user with unlimited access.

Shortly after the merger I dialed the local number. I received, a disconnect, with a message. Check your password and try again.
I called what for me is a toll call number. I live on the edge of one town, so my phone number is in the town closest to the telephone co. central office. If I lived a few miles in another direction I would have my towns phone number, which wouldn't be long distance as mentioned above.I was able to connect to the toll number. I have been in the computer business for a long time. This told me they had blocked my logon authentication to the local number.

I called Earthlink, at first you get the first line staff. FYI, answer their questions then ask for their supervisor
The super told me they were doing load balancing, I told them my situation and they fixed the local number authentication problem.

Just before Thanksgiving, they pulled the same stunt. This time they tell me the whole network is down. (Yea right) I informed them I was logged in to the other number, and by magic within 30 minutes all was back to normal.

The latest, getting to the end soon.
Earthlink redirected my local call to the toll call. I just received my phone bill to the tune of $360 for one month. Since I don't have to dial a 1 before dialing the number, I had NO IDEA. I have requested my local phone co. to block all non-local calls.
This is a line used Just for the Internet.
They are researching the situation as of today.

Has anyone else had the same happen to them??

I have read all of their legal blurbs, they have covered themselves to the max.

Is there any Legal recourse for the phone bill??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">