• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with Broker (Urgent!)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Good afternoon, have a question that about a scenario that is occuring right now. Long story short- I contacted an independent party (broker) to purchase my vehicle for me since he could get it at auctions for cheaper. He told me that he would send me a contract in email and to proceed it would be $200. I payed the $200 but never looked over the contract. Skip to now, I found a vehicle that I wanted and we decided to press "buy it now." What I did not know is that when we agreed to get the vehicle, I was obligated to purchase the vehicle (no waiting period to decide,etc) basically, you press the buy it now and it is your car. He told me to go ahead and pay him through a wire, which I went to the bank and started to do, without realizing I wired it almost to the wrong person. I than received word that the job that I had which was going to fund me for the vehicle, which I than realized I have no source of income for my major job. The wire that I accidently sent actually deducted the amount from my bank, and takes up to 5-10 days to recieve it back due to the mistake. I polietly called him and told him that I have no money and such and really cannot get this car, with the idea that he could just cancel. He told me that now I am legally obligated to purchase the vehicle. I told him that I did not sign a contract (which did have a signature box on the bottom, but the contract was more or less the steps to get a car) and he told me that me giving him $200 was the equivelant to getting the signature. He told me that now I am legally obligated to get the car and pay for it or his attorney would come in and it would not be pleasant. What I want to know is am i being taken for a ride, or does he actually have grounds for intent or what since I never signed anything. This was all done online, never met in person. This was never intended to end up this way, but me not reading the contract did not know that once i press buy I do not have a way to opt out. Any help is appericated as I dont want to be out for a car I did not mean to get.

Just Blue

Good afternoon, have a question that about a scenario that is occuring right now. Long story short- I contacted an independent party (broker) to purchase my vehicle for me since he could get it at auctions for cheaper. He told me that he would send me a contract in email and to proceed it would be $200. I payed the $200 but never looked over the contract. Skip to now, I found a vehicle that I wanted and we decided to press "buy it now." What I did not know is that when we agreed to get the vehicle, I was obligated to purchase the vehicle (no waiting period to decide,etc) basically, you press the buy it now and it is your car. He told me to go ahead and pay him through a wire, which I went to the bank and started to do, without realizing I wired it almost to the wrong person. I than received word that the job that I had which was going to fund me for the vehicle, which I than realized I have no source of income for my major job. The wire that I accidently sent actually deducted the amount from my bank, and takes up to 5-10 days to recieve it back due to the mistake. I polietly called him and told him that I have no money and such and really cannot get this car, with the idea that he could just cancel. He told me that now I am legally obligated to purchase the vehicle. I told him that I did not sign a contract (which did have a signature box on the bottom, but the contract was more or less the steps to get a car) and he told me that me giving him $200 was the equivelant to getting the signature. He told me that now I am legally obligated to get the car and pay for it or his attorney would come in and it would not be pleasant. What I want to know is am i being taken for a ride, or does he actually have grounds for intent or what since I never signed anything. This was all done online, never met in person. This was never intended to end up this way, but me not reading the contract did not know that once i press buy I do not have a way to opt out. Any help is appericated as I dont want to be out for a car I did not mean to get.
What state?

quincy

Not reading or understanding the terms of a contract is (generally) not going to relieve you of the obligation to fulfill the terms of the contract once you sign.

Not reading or understanding the terms of a contract is (generally) not going to relieve you of the obligation to fulfill the terms of the contract once you sign.
I never signed the contract, I just payed him the $200 to begin, but he is saying that that showed "intent"?

quincy

Without reading the terms of the auction or knowing anything about the broker you contacted, I would say that paying $200 and clicking on "buy it now" committed you to buying the vehicle.

You can speak to an attorney in Georgia to see if you can get out of the purchase without penalty.

Without reading the terms of the auction or knowing anything about the broker you contacted, I would say that paying $200 and clicking on "buy it now" committed you to buying the vehicle.

You can speak to an attorney in Georgia to see if you can get out of the purchase without penalty.

even tho he was the one who did it all for me. Without me clicking anything? We have no paper trail of me agreeing

adjusterjack

even tho he was the one who did it all for me. Without me clicking anything? We have no paper trail of me agreeing
You don't have to sign a contract to have a contract. One of the elements of proving the existence of a contract is performance. You may have also communicated by email or text that could be used as evidence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">