• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That kind of creates another idea in my mind. It would take her husband making a small investment but if she could create a grow room in her house, she could grow baby vegetables and fresh herbs year round, which might even be of interest to local restaurants. It is an idea I have played around with for years, but I haven't had any extra rooms for years, so it hasn't been possible for me.

I would however, recommend that you have the local police come and take a look at it once its up and running, so that they will know its not a room for growing pot.
The HaHa was in terms of the pot... There are also standalone "greenhouses" that are rather inexpensive.

LdiJ

The HaHa was in terms of the pot... There are also standalone "greenhouses" that are rather inexpensive.
Yes, but you must have backyard space for those. I don't have that either, unfortunately. However yes, that might be a real alternative for the OP. Even if the OP only grew herbs, a 12 x 12 indoor or greenhouse space could produce an enormous quantity of fresh herbs...and with strategic planting could make those herbs available year round, without interruption.

deidra5

According to Section 61.09, “If a person having the ability to contribute to the maintenance of his or her spouse and support of his or her minor child fails to do so, the spouse who is not receiving support may apply to the court for alimony and for support for the child without seeking dissolution of marriage, and the court shall enter an order as it deems just and proper” whether my husband has duty to support me? If yes:

if he pays my medical bills, doctor visits, cloths, and other necessities then will it come under fraudulent transfer http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html ? Where or what is the specific boundary between these two (section 61.09 and fraudulent transfer)? That is what made my husband, me and my children worried and concerned.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
According to Section 61.09, “If a person having the ability to contribute to the maintenance of his or her spouse and support of his or her minor child fails to do so, the spouse who is not receiving support may apply to the court for alimony and for support for the child without seeking dissolution of marriage, and the court shall enter an order as it deems just and proper” whether my husband has duty to support me? If yes:

if he pays my medical bills, doctor visits, cloths, and other necessities then will it come under fraudulent transfer http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0726/0726.html ? Where or what is the specific boundary between these two (section 61.09 and fraudulent transfer)? That is what made my husband, me and my children worried and concerned.
If he pays your medical bills, doctor visits, clothing, and food and even to go to a movie or other entertainment that is not a fraudulent transfer. Now if he gives you 10k a month to put in your sole savings, that could be. Or if he puts the house solely in your name to avoid it being in his name... or the cars in only your name.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, but you must have backyard space for those. I don't have that either, unfortunately. However yes, that might be a real alternative for the OP. Even if the OP only grew herbs, a 12 x 12 indoor or greenhouse space could produce an enormous quantity of fresh herbs...and with strategic planting could make those herbs available year round, without interruption.
Yes. I made the leap that there was room, given that OP mentioned a vegetable garden. But all that said, I'm not sure what the need would be, as I don't know FL growing seasons...

deidra5

If he pays your medical bills, doctor visits, clothing, and food and even to go to a movie or other entertainment that is not a fraudulent transfer. Now if he gives you 10k a month to put in your sole savings, that could be. Or if he puts the house solely in your name to avoid it being in his name... or the cars in only your name.
very many thanks...

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

"Fraudulent transfer" occurs when assets are transferred with the purpose of being hidden.

Examples of fraudulent transfer:
1) "Giving" large sums of money to you or your children, as OG already mentioned. I do not think college tuition would be included, if they are still undergraduates.
2) Transferring the title of the house into your name exclusively.
3) Transferring the title on the car that he regularly drives to someone else.

What is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be considered a fraudulent transfer:
1) Normal purchases of clothing. $40 garden clogs or $60 sneakers are not red flags. Louboutin or Prada shoes might be, if that's not your normal lifestyle.
2) Routine and medically necessary medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance. Annual check ups and dental cleanings are not red flags, nor are doctor referred follow up.

Either your husband is exceptionally dense or he's just using this lawsuit as an excuse.

He should ask his lawyer for clarification. If he does not have a lawyer, then he is a fool. Retaining a lawyer to defend you against a lawsuit is prudent when you are clueless about the law, and is not a fraudulent transfer of assets.

Aside: you seem like an intelligent person. You need to work with your husband to become more financially aware. You don't want to be one of those women that are helpless if something suddenly happens to their husbands. After 30 years of marriage, it is common and prudent to have joint accounts, and to know what household bills are due when, and set up some form of estate planning.

deidra5

"Fraudulent transfer" occurs when assets are transferred with the purpose of being hidden.

Examples of fraudulent transfer:
1) "Giving" large sums of money to you or your children, as OG already mentioned. I do not think college tuition would be included, if they are still undergraduates.
2) Transferring the title of the house into your name exclusively.
3) Transferring the title on the car that he regularly drives to someone else.

What is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be considered a fraudulent transfer:
1) Normal purchases of clothing. $40 garden clogs or $60 sneakers are not red flags. Louboutin or Prada shoes might be, if that's not your normal lifestyle.
2) Routine and medically necessary medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance. Annual check ups and dental cleanings are not red flags, nor are doctor referred follow up.

Either your husband is exceptionally dense or he's just using this lawsuit as an excuse.

He should ask his lawyer for clarification. If he does not have a lawyer, then he is a fool. Retaining a lawyer to defend you against a lawsuit is prudent when you are clueless about the law, and is not a fraudulent transfer of assets.

Aside: you seem like an intelligent person. You need to work with your husband to become more financially aware. You don't want to be one of those women that are helpless if something suddenly happens to their husbands. After 30 years of marriage, it is common and prudent to have joint accounts, and to know what household bills are due when, and set up some form of estate planning.
So may thanks... My husband will talk to an attorney as well. He is not using this lawsuit as an excuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">