• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

issues re: 50% ownership of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deinpa

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

There are several questions that I have, I will list them below, any help that could be provided by anyone, on any of the items listed would be greatly appreciated.

1.) My sister and I own a home, there are 20 yrs left on mortgage, her ownership is in name only, and she has not contributed 1 cent in ten years, in fact she has been stealing money from the household for those 10 yrs. Initially, we were each to pay 50% to provide a home for my mother and underage brother and sisters. Since 1993, she demanded my mother have her social security checks direct deposited into her bank account every month to be put toward the mortgage. I was not aware of this. I was contributing $500.00+ to the mortgage payment the 1st of every month. My sister had agreed to issue the check to the mortgage company. Between my mother and I, we put over $1100.00 per month into a $1000.00 mortgage payment. My sister placed the excess funds in her pocket every month for 10 yrs. Do we have any recourse?

2.) My sister has also, 7 out of the last 10 years, claimed all of the deductions for the house, mort int, prop taxes, etc. Also she has claimed head of household for 7 of the past 10 years, and claimed my mother as a dependent. What can we do to recover some or all of the fraudulently claimed amounts?

3.) In addition, she is a licensed real estate agent in PA, while she was licensed, she and her boyfriend went to an office supply store and bought and typed up a lease agreement for the property we both own without my knowledge or consent. She claimed this as an income property to get a more favorable mortgage deal on her home. I am sure she did this under the direction of the owner of the real estate franchise. What am I liable for in regard to this, and how can I void this fraud of a document? Who can I hold responsible for this?

4.) In 1999, the property in question suffered some storm damage, for which we were issued a check to cover repairs. This check was NOT endorsed by me. (She was a licensed real estate agent at the time she did this.) She deposited this check $2500.00+, into her bank account and used the money as a downpayment on her new home. The repairs have never been made and the depreciation of over $700.00 was never paid by the insurance company. What can I do to recover these funds?
And am I liable for insurance fraud?

5.) She is threatening to take me to court for a partition sale of the property. I will lose all of my investment to date in the property, and the $25,000+, I have put into repairs. Is there any way I can stop this, or at least hold her responsible for her 50% share of all the monies expended to date?

I need answers as soon as possible. THANK YOU.

Last edited:

D

deinpa

The agreement between the owners was each paid 50% of the mortgage, taxes, and insurance every month. This is my sister we are talking about, and we never had anything in writing. All of a sudden, she wants out of the agreement. I am on disability, and awaiting my SS hearing. The payments have never been late, and never will be late. She has made inquiries, and changed contact information with the mortgage company as early as 07/09/01. I have to stop this. She can't prove that she as put anything into the property, yet she says she can force me to sell it. Logically, I would never have made an agreement that allows her to steal money for 10 yrs, and claim all of the deductions, etc. I really hope I have some recourse here.

Thank You.

HomeGuru

deinpa said:
The agreement between the owners was each paid 50% of the mortgage, taxes, and insurance every month. This is my sister we are talking about, and we never had anything in writing. All of a sudden, she wants out of the agreement. I am on disability, and awaiting my SS hearing. The payments have never been late, and never will be late. She has made inquiries, and changed contact information with the mortgage company as early as 07/09/01. I have to stop this. She can't prove that she as put anything into the property, yet she says she can force me to sell it. Logically, I would never have made an agreement that allows her to steal money for 10 yrs, and claim all of the deductions, etc. I really hope I have some recourse here.

Thank You.

**A: now you need to hire your own attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">