• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with Brother/landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nonamia

What is the name of your state?
California

In September 2014 my brother called and said he had tax issuers and was afraid he lose his house. At the time my mother and sister and I were sharing an apartment for $725. He said it we moved in and paid him 650 for 1 room(no heat or air conditioning) it would include utilities, cable, and internet. Plus we would take his 7 year old to and from school, and take care of him when they weren't home. He said if we did this he would help us get an inexpensive car (we had no car). It's almost 5 years and he has done nothing to help us. He got all he needed out of us and now he is threatening to kick us out, but the problem is without a car it's almost impossible to get a job so we can't afford to leave. He keeps taking things away, he took our cable box in 2016, now he is cutting off our internet when he goes to bed about 10pm. What can I do he won't stop threatening to evict us because we have been here too long and when you try to talk to him about it he yells. We are miserable and are desperate to leave but cant.

FarmerJ

as far as finding another place to live , find one that's on a bus line or with in walking range of employment opportunities and smile at your new found freedom and think twice before you ever assist him again.

Nonamia

Can't afford to move without a job, he basically promised the world to get us to help and screwed us over. Believe me it's been time to move for a long time. God I am stupid. I have been helping him out for years I took care of his daughter for 5 months out of the year from birth to 8 then took her in for 2 years without any help from him. I have been helping him in different ways for 25 years.

Just Blue

Can't afford to move without a job, he basically promised the world to get us to help and screwed us over. Believe me it's been time to move for a long time. God I am stupid. I have been helping him out for years I took care of his daughter for 5 months out of the year from birth to 8 then took her in for 2 years without any help from him. I have been helping him in different ways for 25 years.
No busses in your part of Cali?

Nonamia

Of course I need a job! Lol I have had 4 interviews this past 2 months. One started at 6 am but the bus didn't leave until 6 am, another was perfect but the buses are so weird it would take me 2 hours and 3 buses to get 10 miles and it goes on that way which is why I jumped at the chance of getting a car. At the time I was laid off and lost my car. There is one bus line and I have applied for any place along there and hoping and praying but it just drives me crazy that creep gets away with this!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course I need a job! Lol I have had 4 interviews this past 2 months. One started at 6 am but the bus didn't leave until 6 am, another was perfect but the buses are so weird it would take me 2 hours and 3 buses to get 10 miles and it goes on that way which is why I jumped at the chance of getting a car. At the time I was laid off and lost my car. There is one bus line and I have applied for any place along there and hoping and praying but it just drives me crazy that creep gets away with this!
Honestly, the whole "woe is me" routine doesn't ring very true. If you were 6 months in...sure. Maybe even a year. But 5 years is just unbelievable.

Nonamia

The job you mean? I have not been looking for a job for 5 years I have been looking after my nephew until he started 6th grade this year my sister was looking after mom who is 73 and disabled she is looking into a program where she can get paid to look after her. Mom is paying the $650 and I make a little at home through the internet to support small needs. I just turned 50 and its hard to find a job it really is It took me months to get those interviews. There is one bus line near the house that I can get that will be just one stop. I can t .and them call me. I don't see how the truth is woe is me.

Eekamouse

The job you mean? I have not been looking for a job for 5 years I have been looking after my nephew until he started 6th grade this year my sister was looking after mom who is 73 and disabled she is looking into a program where she can get paid to look after her. Mom is paying the $650 and I make a little at home through the internet to support small needs. I just turned 50 and its hard to find a job it really is It took me months to get those interviews. There is one bus line near the house that I can get that will be just one stop. I can t .and them call me. I don't see how the truth is woe is me.
Why couldn't you or your sister look after both your nephew and your mother, freeing up the other person to look for outside employment? Just curious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">