• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello-
I have a small rental house in PA, I am in NC. I have had a problematic tenant-several issues with needing repairs on the house that he did not notify me of, he painted rooms without permission (violation of the lease), and he is always late with rent. Lease specifies rent is late and due with a 25.00 late fee on the fourth of the month, as of the 12th, the landlord may proceed to begin eviction proceedings by all lawful means. He sent an email on the 3rd stating he did not have all the funds for the rent yet at that time, but he has not responded to my emails to him since then. At this time, he has not paid rent. His lease is through May. Should I hire an attorney to write him a letter, or send him a certified letter myself or any other suggestions? Thank you.
Who takes care of your property? Have you read the laws in Pennsylvania?

questions1

Who takes care of your property? Have you read the laws in Pennsylvania?
Yes, have read the PA laws. There is currently no property manager-the prior one moved and resigned, and that has been another issue with tenant-he has not let a prospective property manager in house. So I have been dealing with him long distance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, have read the PA laws. There is currently no property manager-the prior one moved and resigned, and that has been another issue with tenant-he has not let a prospective property manager in house. So I have been dealing with him long distance.
I would suggest that you hire a management company. You can't effectively LL from a distance in this instance.

questions1

I have called a couple of management companies. This is in a tiny town. None have called back so far (Closest one is 25 minutes from house). In the meantime, after re-reading PA laws, my next step is to "deliver a notice to tenant" that can be posted on house or hand delivered to property. Would that include a certified letter? Did not find specifics about that.

Just Blue

I have called a couple of management companies. This is in a tiny town. None have called back so far (Closest one is 25 minutes from house). In the meantime, after re-reading PA laws, my next step is to "deliver a notice to tenant" that can be posted on house or hand delivered to property. Would that include a certified letter? Did not find specifics about that.
Why did you edit out your OP? :confused:

questions1

I would suggest that you hire a management company. You can't effectively LL from a distance in this instance.
have called a couple of management companies. This is in a tiny town. None have called back so far (Closest one is 25 minutes from house). In the meantime, after re-reading PA laws, my next step is to "deliver a notice to tenant" that can be posted on house or hand delivered to property. Would that include a certified letter? Did not find specifics about that.

sandyclaus

have called a couple of management companies. This is in a tiny town. None have called back so far (Closest one is 25 minutes from house). In the meantime, after re-reading PA laws, my next step is to "deliver a notice to tenant" that can be posted on house or hand delivered to property. Would that include a certified letter? Did not find specifics about that.
If you are going to be in the LL business, you need to learn how to deal with your tenants and management your property according to Landlord/Tenant (LL/T) laws. If you don't know how, this is why a property management company can provide you with a valuable service that you really need. If you can't find one to hire, then you're going to need to familiarize yourself with LL/T laws on your own so you know what to do in a particular situation. Here is an online guide I found that might help: http://rhol.org/csu/evictions/PA/PennsylvaniaSteps.htm

Right now, I wouldn't be focusing on finding a property management company. I'd be looking for a good eviction attorney in the area where the property is located. You can't afford NOT to hire one at this point.

questions1

If you are going to be in the LL business, you need to learn how to deal with your tenants and management your property according to Landlord/Tenant (LL/T) laws. If you don't know how, this is why a property management company can provide you with a valuable service that you really need. If you can't find one to hire, then you're going to need to familiarize yourself with LL/T laws on your own so you know what to do in a particular situation. Here is an online guide I found that might help: http://rhol.org/csu/evictions/PA/PennsylvaniaSteps.htm

Right now, I wouldn't be focusing on finding a property management company. I'd be looking for a good eviction attorney in the area where the property is located. You can't afford NOT to hire one at this point.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">