• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It sounds like BS to me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My ex-bil has two boys with his ex-gf. He lives in California and so did she until very recently. My ex-bil has been established by the court as the father so there is no question about paternity. Anyhoo, his ex moved herself and the kids to Arizona and she thought by doing this, it would force my ex-bil to move out there so he could still be a part of their lives on a daily basis. Here in California, she saw that while yes, he was a part of the boys lives, he wasn't interested in being in a relationship with her. She figured he'd commit to a relationship with her if he had to move to a new place to see his kids. Stupid logic on her part but whatever. So she's out there for a few weeks, living with a friend and the house gets raided by the cops. She gets arrested for drug possession, her friend gets arrested, and CPS comes and takes the kids away. The friend's parents provide a foster home to my ex-bil's sons. CPS is making his ex-gf get iinto a residential rehab program, be regularly drug tested, and only lets her see her children in a supervised setting.

She's told my ex-bil that he can't call to speak to his sons unless he gets a court order but she's also telling him that he needs him to move out there to help her get her kids back because he could get the kids released to him. I think this is b.s. Why should he have to get a court order to call his kids and talk to them? He hasn't done anything wrong. He wants to get custody of the boys but doesn't want his ex to constantly harass and bother him like she used to do when she lived her in California. CPS has not contacted him from Az. I told him he needs to call and talk to case worker to see what's really going on. His ex-gf lies all the time so anything she tells him can't be taken as truth.

Is there any reason why CPS out in AZ would require my ex-bil to have a court order just to call his kids?

Silverplum

I'm not ever sure of what CPS wants or requires, in my state or any state.

But I do know that he shouldn't take "legal advice" from his ex, and that he won't know about calling/seeing his children until he tries. He should try! :)

Eekamouse

I'm not ever sure of what CPS wants or requires, in my state or any state.

But I do know that he shouldn't take "legal advice" from his ex, and that he won't know about calling/seeing his children until he tries. He should try! :)
Preaching to the choir. I just got done telling him that very thing earlier today.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
My ex-bil has two boys with his ex-gf. He lives in California and so did she until very recently. My ex-bil has been established by the court as the father so there is no question about paternity. Anyhoo, his ex moved herself and the kids to Arizona and she thought by doing this, it would force my ex-bil to move out there so he could still be a part of their lives on a daily basis. Here in California, she saw that while yes, he was a part of the boys lives, he wasn't interested in being in a relationship with her. She figured he'd commit to a relationship with her if he had to move to a new place to see his kids. Stupid logic on her part but whatever. So she's out there for a few weeks, living with a friend and the house gets raided by the cops. She gets arrested for drug possession, her friend gets arrested, and CPS comes and takes the kids away. The friend's parents provide a foster home to my ex-bil's sons. CPS is making his ex-gf get iinto a residential rehab program, be regularly drug tested, and only lets her see her children in a supervised setting.

She's told my ex-bil that he can't call to speak to his sons unless he gets a court order but she's also telling him that he needs him to move out there to help her get her kids back because he could get the kids released to him. I think this is b.s. Why should he have to get a court order to call his kids and talk to them? He hasn't done anything wrong. He wants to get custody of the boys but doesn't want his ex to constantly harass and bother him like she used to do when she lived her in California. CPS has not contacted him from Az. I told him he needs to call and talk to case worker to see what's really going on. His ex-gf lies all the time so anything she tells him can't be taken as truth.

Is there any reason why CPS out in AZ would require my ex-bil to have a court order just to call his kids?
Yes it is possible. I work with CPS all the time. The major issue is he would have to get an ICPC approved in order to get custody of his children. CPS loves being in control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">