• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's going to cost me a small fortune to be a witness.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Another update. I requested and received an extension of the Order for Protection. The judge extended, without a hearing, the OFP for two years. The soon-to-be ex then requested a hearing, which was scheduled last week. She then did not show up for the hearing so the judge ruled that the OFP is in effect.

She was sentenced yesterday to 180 days in jail with credit for 13 days and the rest of the time stayed. She was fined $2,000 with $1,800 of it stayed. She also was ordered to pay $176 in law library costs. She was put on probation for two years, must not possess or consume any mood-altering substances, and will be taking random urine tests while on probation. She must complete a chemical dependency assessment within 30 days and a mental health assessment within 60 days. The judge also extended the Domestic Abuse No Contact Order for two years.

Friday then 16th is when the contempt of court hearing for the divorce case is to be held. My attorney wanted me to meet with him this week to prepare for that hearing and he asked me to call him this week. I have left messages for my attorney on Monday, Tuesday, and today and he still hasn't got back to me. I have only talked with my attorney once this summer (when he told me that I could probably successfully handle the OFP hearing without him), so it's kind of frustrating not to get a call back. Would be nice to have this entire thing over with.
Thanks for the latest update.

If you want to go over everything with your attorney, it can help to schedule an appointment to talk to him in person.

It could be some comfort to know that it cannot go on forever ... although I know you probably think it has already.

Good luck on the 16th.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Another update. I requested and received an extension of the Order for Protection. The judge extended, without a hearing, the OFP for two years. The soon-to-be ex then requested a hearing, which was scheduled last week. She then did not show up for the hearing so the judge ruled that the OFP is in effect.

She was sentenced yesterday to 180 days in jail with credit for 13 days and the rest of the time stayed. She was fined $2,000 with $1,800 of it stayed. She also was ordered to pay $176 in law library costs. She was put on probation for two years, must not possess or consume any mood-altering substances, and will be taking random urine tests while on probation. She must complete a chemical dependency assessment within 30 days and a mental health assessment within 60 days. The judge also extended the Domestic Abuse No Contact Order for two years.

Friday then 16th is when the contempt of court hearing for the divorce case is to be held. My attorney wanted me to meet with him this week to prepare for that hearing and he asked me to call him this week. I have left messages for my attorney on Monday, Tuesday, and today and he still hasn't got back to me. I have only talked with my attorney once this summer (when he told me that I could probably successfully handle the OFP hearing without him), so it's kind of frustrating not to get a call back. Would be nice to have this entire thing over with.
Good.

Stay safe.

Hunterman

This will probably be my final update on the cases. The soon-to-be ex's contempt of court hearing was scheduled for Friday the 16th. I had my lawyer contact her lawyer to see if we could meet ahead of time to come to some sort of a settlement, so we met an hour before the contempt of court hearing was scheduled. My lawyer and her lawyer met privately and when my lawyer came back into the room where I was waiting he had a huge grin and he said, "I think we going to get this divorce settled this morning." I was shocked because there had been no progress in the last 11 months.

My attorney explained that my soon-to-be ex was afraid that she would be thrown in jail at the contempt hearing. We had an agreement in about 20 minutes of negotiations. I ended up getting a way better settlement than I ever expected. I get the house and all of the equity in the house (about $70,000 in equity). We each keep our own retirements (mine is valued at about $120,000 and hers is valued at about $5,000) and other financial accounts. We each keep what we have as far as possessions, except she wanted 4 specific items that she owned before we married. I get sole custody of the children. Child support will be determined at a hearing at a later time (I anticipate getting about $600 per month). She agreed to no spousal support and a Karon waiver. I have to pay her $25,000 in 30 days and another $10,000 next year.

We then went in front of the judge where the attorneys explained that we had reached a settlement, therefore a contempt of court hearing was not needed. The lawyers explained the settlement to the judge and then the ex and I both had to answer questions for the record in court. This week the settlement document was completed and signed by my attorney and her attorney. It has been sent to the judge and once the judge signs it the divorce will be completed!!

Last edited:

quincy

This will probably be my final update on the cases. The soon-to-be ex's contempt of court hearing was scheduled for Friday the 16th. I had my lawyer contact her lawyer to see if we could meet ahead of time to come to some sort of a settlement, so we met an hour before the contempt of court hearing was scheduled. My lawyer and her lawyer met privately and when my lawyer came back into the room where I was waiting he had a huge grin and he said, "I think we going to get this divorce settled this morning." I was shocked because there had been no progress in the last 11 months.

My attorney explained that my soon-to-be ex was afraid that she would be thrown in jail at the contempt hearing. We had an agreement in about 20 minutes of negotiations. I ended up getting a way better settlement than I ever expected. I get the house and all of the equity in the house (about $70,000 in equity). We each keep our own retirements (mine is valued at about $120,000 and hers is valued at about $5,000) and other financial accounts. We each keep what we have as far as possessions, except she wanted 4 specific items that she owned before we married. I get sole custody of the children. Child support will be determined at a hearing at a later time (I anticipate getting about $600 per month). She agreed to no spousal support and a Karon waiver. I have to pay her $25,000 in 30 days and another $10,000 next year.

We then went in front of the judge where the attorneys explained that we had reached a settlement, therefore a contempt of court hearing was not needed. The lawyers explained the settlement to the judge and then the ex and I both had to answer questions for the record in court. This week the settlement document was completed and signed by my attorney and her attorney. It has been sent to the judge and once the judge signs it the divorce will be completed!!
I am happy to hear you were able to finally reach an agreement.

What a relief, huh?! :)

Thanks for sharing with us the positive news, Hunterman.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">