• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I've been harrassed and filed a complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lhasalover

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was recently harrassed by a male co-worker at a convention in Vegas. The harrassment included making comments on womens breasts and assorted body parts, refereneces to sexual escapades, accusations of me having an affair, calling a female VP a whore, a co-workers wife a bi-polar bitch and being told to "clean up the booth, honey". I told the harasser to his face that I would contact HR.

Additionally, the harasser's immediate supervisor witnessed his behavior and did not speak up.

I have spoke to a VP of our company and followed up with an email documenting the exact nature of the harrasment. He indicated that he would investigate, starting with the supervisor.

My question: Have I covered all my bases and what should my next step be, depending upon what the investigation turns up. Our paren tco is in TN, the harasser lives in OR and I was harrassed in NV.?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Recent case law makes it necessary for you to exhaust all internal resources before going to an outside agency, so you've taken the correct first step in reporting it.

Your next step will be determined by what happens next.

Their legal obligation is to make any harassment stop. That is ALL. They are not required to fire the guy or transfer one of you so that you no longer have to encounter him or even tell you what action they take.

If the harassment stops, then that's the end of the matter and you need do nothing else.

If it doesn't stop after they have had a reasonable time to work, talk to HR.

lhasalover

Thank's. I had wondered if I should have contacted HR first. My concern stems from potential retaliation (social pressure :rolleyes: ) etc.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You could have gone directly to HR. But having chosen to go to upper managment first (and there's nothing wrong with doing it that way) HR should be your next step IF nothing happens with your current report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">