• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I’ve been paying for my neighbors electricity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have government assistance for paying my electric bill. They pay 50% of my bill. Even with the assistance my bills were still $ 400-500. Recently my Landlord took me to court for a possession of property. During the hearing I explained to the judge that I could not afford the ridiculously high bills and that is why I struggle to pay the rent on time . I also told the judge that my landlord made an apartment in my basement and was renting to two tenants. I told him had an verbal agreement with the tenants for their help in paying the bill, but $40 /a month from both of them ($80) just wasn’t enough. Peco came out to check the meter and sure enough I was paying for the two tenants in the basement, hot water for the upstairs apartment, and for the electric in the office of the auto repair shop connected to my house . Today an employee from the shop told me that an electrician is working around the house and that our electric would be out for around 30 minutes . It’s going on 3 hours and the electric is still partially off. The electrician is the same guy that fixes the plumbing and rain gutter issues, so I’m wondering if he’s a certified electrician. I called the police as well as PECO to make reports. I’m wondering was that necessary ?? My daughter asked the employees if they knew what the electrician was doing but they argued with her and alerted the landlord. He called and threatened to evict her from the apartment she rents from him, if she were to go to the auto shop employees again. Is there any need to worry about that ??

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I have government assistance for paying my electric bill. They pay 50% of my bill. Even with the assistance my bills were still $ 400-500. Recently my Landlord took me to court for a possession of property. During the hearing I explained to the judge that I could not afford the ridiculously high bills and that is why I struggle to pay the rent on time . I also told the judge that my landlord made an apartment in my basement and was renting to two tenants. I told him had an verbal agreement with the tenants for their help in paying the bill, but $40 /a month from both of them ($80) just wasn’t enough. Peco came out to check the meter and sure enough I was paying for the two tenants in the basement, hot water for the upstairs apartment, and for the electric in the office of the auto repair shop connected to my house . Today an employee from the shop told me that an electrician is working around the house and that our electric would be out for around 30 minutes . It’s going on 3 hours and the electric is still partially off. The electrician is the same guy that fixes the plumbing and rain gutter issues, so I’m wondering if he’s a certified electrician. I called the police as well as PECO to make reports. I’m wondering was that necessary ?? My daughter asked the employees if they knew what the electrician was doing but they argued with her and alerted the landlord. He called and threatened to evict her from the apartment she rents from him, if she were to go to the auto shop employees again. Is there any need to worry about that ??
What state is this in?

I'm curious: what crime did you feel the electrician was committing? And who is PECO?

What state is this in?

I'm curious: what crime did you feel the electrician was committing? And who is PECO?
I live in Pennsylvania. PECO is the electric provider.
I didn’t suspect any crime was being committed but neither the landlord or the electrician made me aware of anything so I wanted to have some type of report .

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I live in Pennsylvania. PECO is the electric provider.
I didn’t suspect any crime was being committed but neither the landlord or the electrician made me aware of anything so I wanted to have some type of report .
Then you should not have called the police. Law enforcement isn't there to mediate your civil disputes.

And what do auto shop employees have to do with your daughter's apartment?

I suspect PECO is the local power company. Are we in Philadelphia or there abouts?
Bucks County..a neighboring county to Philadelphia.
Then you should not have called the police. Law enforcement isn't there to mediate your civil disputes.

Well I appealed the possession of property , so
I’m jusy being careful and reporting anything and everything. But thanks for th he advice .

The employees alerted the landlord that she was asking about the electrician . That is why the landlord called her and threatened eviction.

LdiJ

Apparently daughter rents from the same landlord.

If OP's electric bill is 400-500 a month after assistance pays 50% then the regular bill would be 800 - 1000 a month. That sounds like her paying more like the entire electric for the auto shop, not just it's office.

LdiJ

OP, why don't you report the extra-high power bill to the government agency that helps you pay your bill?
This kind of landlord actually disgusts me more than just a bit. If the landlord is unable to completely split the utilities for all units then the landlord should be paying all of the utilities himself and charge a commiserate amount of rent. However, I can just about bet that he is charging a commiserate amount of rent to everybody that doesn't have to pay for utilities, but sticking the OP with the whole bill.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
This kind of landlord actually disgusts me more than just a bit. If the landlord is unable to completely split the utilities for all units then the landlord should be paying all of the utilities himself and charge a commiserate amount of rent. However, I can just about bet that he is charging a commiserate amount of rent to everybody that doesn't have to pay for utilities, but sticking the OP with the whole bill.

I have a feeling you're right. Which is why I suggest getting the appropriate government agency involved. I have a feeling they'll be more than happy to look into this.

FarmerJ

About all a city housing inspector can do is come out, note what they find for a report and issue a copy to the tenant and if the local law bars a LL from making a tenant pay the bill on a shared meter or like when a lease fails to disclose that the electric meter supplies more than the tenants space when the tenant is paying the bill. BUT with a report from inspections showing the meter is shared it would give a tenant something to show to a judge when complaining and asking for a court to address it.

HRZ

I'm was a LL in PA among other things and worked at HQ for another major PA. Public utility...there are massive possibilities as to errors by LL. And if there is not a permit posted on the building for the electrical work I'd be calling the local codes office tomorrow morning , get names and keep records, follow,
up. . Many a basement unit is not Code legal and failure to separate utility services raises a big red flag. ..and. 3 unit is another level of code issues ...and I'd not rule out theft by deception as to electrical services ..not to mention a host of issues under the PA Public Utility regs And a quick visit to town hall building dept records may disclose the supposed legal use of the building .

HRZ

PS I were the tenant in question I'd shut off the power at the main disconnect and let the howls begin .

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You disgust me because you have shown your bias against MANY people including attorneys, fathers, and now landlords. OP check LD's posting history. She has a bias. You need to recognize it.

The two tenats are the employees at the auto garage and they do not pay rent . He disgusts me because he is suing me for more than I’m worth for “damages” and unpaid rent . He claims that my dog caused the damages to the floor but I’m almost certain that is not the case. The plumber/electrician came out to fix a bad leak in the apartment downstairs..ever since then the floor near the pipes and my leaking refrigerator is starting to bow and it is discolored . I’m in the process of getting an inspector out to check the plumbing. He is suing me for unpaid rent and late fees but it was almost impossible for me to pay the rent. I was paying at $500 electric bill, $800 (thats just my portion) , and a $100 late fee. I don’t make that much money in a month . I hope the appeal process ends in my favor because like I said he is suing me for more than I’m worth .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">