• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

J-1 Waiver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hanka

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hello there!

I have a specific question. I was in the USA on J-1 Visa and returned back to Czech Republic. Now I can not go back to the US because of the required 2-year residency period at home unless I obtain a J-1 Waiver. What do I have to do to get it or where I can get information about it?

Thank you very much for your help.

ImmigAttyLana

What type of waiver are you going to try to get? You need to look for information on the J-1 waivers on the US Department of State website. But the waivers are not automatically granted. You need to either get a no - objection letter from your home country or apply for a waiver on the basis of extreme hardship to a US citizen. Besides, you are not precluded from traveling to the US before having satisfied the 2-year home residence requirement; you just cannot apply for certain types of visas, like the H-1B, etc.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need further assistance with this matter.

Hanka

Actually I don't know what kind of waiver I can get. I am married to a man who lives in the US and has a green card. He applied for the US citizenship in May and it seems he might get it March probably. Can I apply for a waiver on basis of extreme hardship to a man with green card or should I wait until he is an american citizen?
What does that mean "no-objection letter from my country"? Who should I ask to to write this letter? Who is my country? Some person or an institution?

Thank you for your answer.

Last edited:

Hanka

Actually I don't know what kind of waiver I can get. I am married to a man who lives in the US and has a green card. He applied for the US citizenship in May and it seems he might get it March probably. Can I apply for a waiver on basis of extreme hardship to a man with green card or should I wait until he is an american citizen?
What does that mean "no-objection letter from my country"? Who should I ask to to write this letter? Who is my country? Some person or an institution?

Thank you for your answer.

ImmigAttyLana

No, the extreme hardship has to be shown to be to a US citizen. As for the no objection letter, you need to contact your country's embassy in the US in order to find out what the requirements are for applying for this as the requirements for each country differ.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need additional assistance with this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">