• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jail vs Prison

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state
I was under the impression that jail time is anything less than 1 year and prison was anything over 1 year. So why do I read or hear on the news that so and so was sentenced to 6 months in prison? Wouldnt that be jail?

Just Blue

I was under the impression that jail time is anything less than 1 year and prison was anything over 1 year. So why do I read or hear on the news that so and so was sentenced to 6 months in prison? Wouldnt that be jail?
In MY state your "impression" would be wrong. I don't know if "any US state" is like mine. :rolleyes:

justalayman

No, it isn't any state:

it depends what you are talking about. Some states specify jail time or prison time for a given crime regardless of the length.

CdwJava

And many times people who do not understand the proper terminology use the terms "jail" and "prison" interchangeably.

It really doesn't matter. If you prefer, change the word to "incarcerated" rather than "jail" or "prison." As long as the person is housed in a facility as proscribed under the law, then it really doesn't matter what you call the place.

In some places they like to refer to them as "rehabilitation centers" ... it's still a jail ... or, a prison.

quincy

... So why do I read or hear on the news that so and so was sentenced to 6 months in prison? Wouldnt that be jail?
The news will not be (or should not be) using the term jail and prison to mean the same thing.

When the word jail is used on the news, it will be referring to facilities where people are confined for committing misdemeanors, or where people are confined who are awaiting trial or sentencing on misdemeanor or felony charges, or where people are confined on civil matters.

When the word prison is used on the news, it will be referring to maximum security institutions (penitentiaries) and medium security institutions (correctional facilities) where people are confined for committing felonies. Many federal facilities used for those awaiting trials will be called correctional or detention centers.

Often the news will use the formal name of the institution on first reference, which may in its name include the words county jail or jail, state prison or prison, penitentiary, correctional facility, detention center ... and then a shortened version of the name may be used on second reference.

Last edited:
I'd say jail is more of a private high school of crime and prison is college.

DC
Really depends on the jail, esp. now that states are moving some prison inmates to county jails.

A couple of years ago, an acquaintance of mine (young guy running a successful business) got a DUI and opted for a few days in the County jail rather than the more convoluted work-project and fines. He figured he would spent his time reading a few books. Umm, no....

His first day, the white and hispanic inmates got into a fight, and he was told he had to choose a side. Being a brownish man of vaguely Fijan origin (though well-spoken and completely Americanized), it was a no-win choice.

He saw several inmate-on-inmate sex acts, which the guards completely ignored. He thought the acts were consensual, but who knows in a jail setting.

He thought many of the inmates had obvious gang affiliations. They weren't just the town drunks and purse-snatchers.

A few people who had been around the block a few times told him they preferred state prison to county jail.

CdwJava

That's vastly different from what I hear from prisoners and former prisoners out here. When I worked in custody the transfers from state prison to county jail (usually for court) expressed their appreciation of the county because it was easier time and far safer than the prisons. County jails (at least out here) tend to be better supervised and controlled than state prisons and you don't have as high a concentration of the serious offenders as sentenced inmates. Though, with the passage of AB109 out here, that's changing as the state has shifted the burden for many felonies now to county jails from the state prisons ... but that's another topic (of failed state policies).

In CA there's a distinction defined at law. Getting an expungement requires additional steps if you've served prison time, but not if you've only served jail time. Unfortunately, I can't recall how they are held to be different.

I haven't been in a jail or prison myself as an inmate, and as I said it depends on your locale. In my county, a few years ago it had the most homicides per capita in California, and almost all of them were gang-related. Not surprisingly, many of the County jailees are gang-bangers.

I googled a few jail vs prison forums, and it seems to be a 50-50 split on which is more tolerable for prolonged stays.

Bottom line: a week in jail, or more, may be worse than you think.

That's vastly different from what I hear from prisoners and former prisoners out here. When I worked in custody the transfers from state prison to county jail (usually for court) expressed their appreciation of the county because it was easier time and far safer than the prisons. County jails (at least out here) tend to be better supervised and controlled than state prisons and you don't have as high a concentration of the serious offenders as sentenced inmates. Though, with the passage of AB109 out here, that's changing as the state has shifted the burden for many felonies now to county jails from the state prisons ... but that's another topic (of failed state policies).
I dunno. The prisoners I spoke with from Pelican Bay and San Quentin preferred their conditions to county jail. Of course they would express gratitude to their handlers.

As an aside, the multiple murderers were very polite and cooperative.

Last edited:

TigerD

I dunno. The prisoners I spoke with from Pelican Bay and San Quentin preferred their conditions to county jail. Of course they would express gratitude to their handlers.

As an aside, the multiple murderers were very polite and cooperative.
Never underestimate the manipulative power of a sociopath.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">