• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Javascript and Css used on a website are considerated "distribution" for open source licenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pino15

Javascript and Css used on a website are considered "distribution" for open source licenses (MIT, GPL ecc...)?

quincy

What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

I am not sure I understand your question. Do you have a website?

Pino15

Thanks for answer quincy,
I'm in Europe. Yes i'm talking about websites, but not a specific website.
I'm sorry for my English, i'm still learning.

I know Open Sources licenses about software ask to be compilant (including changes, copyright notice ecc...) when the software is "distributed".
I read that simply run on your website software like Javascript and Css it's considered "distribution".
Is it real? There is official documentation about it?
Thanks

Just Blue

I know Open Sources licenses about software ask to be compilant (including changes, copyright notice ecc...) when the software is "distributed".
I read that simply run on your website software like Javascript and Css it's considered "distribution".
Thanks
FreeAdvice is U.S. Law only.

quincy

Thanks
Possibly. It could be redistribution.

But your question does not have an easy answer.

If you have a license, provide attribution on your website (a copyright notice and the URL to a copy of the license). And see an expert in your area of the world to discuss your website plans and what you will need to best protect yourself and your content from attracting a lawsuit.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">