• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

JETX....an update...and thanks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

craftymom

What is the name of your state? Virginia

JETX,

I just wanted to drop a thank you for your help with my initial thread

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=162965

and to give you an update to let you know your time and efforts weren't wasted.

Ultimately, DH and I decided to wait until November 1 to put the 21 day notice in writing. This was done because the extensive work and the cost of repair exceeds the amount that the Real Estate company can approve without the homeowner’s permission. The homeowner is military and was out to sea, so we wanted to afford him the opportunity to get back to port before having to deal with the issue. (we know all to well what it's like to be deployed and have a serious issue to contend with)

The homeowner refuses to give permission. Says he can’t afford to fix it (not my problem). So, we called the military housing office, base legal, and the State safety inspector to investigate and attempt to force the homeowner’s hand while at the same time enlisting help, resources, and a paper trail to help us either get this fixed, or back us up in the event of a “forced move-out”. Seems the homeowner is fairly consistent in his stupidity. He has made statements to DH and I, as well as all three agencies listed above, that make it evident that he not only wants to move back into his house—but has wanted to for quite some time—and is using this situation as a means to get us out.

Thanks to your help with my initial question, I was able to locate statutes regarding pulling off the “bluffs” you suggested---specifically going after him for the cost of the move. Actually, part of it was found in the initial statute you posted. Turns out we can sue him for injunctive relief (to include movers, and cost of switching utilities) as well as reasonable attorney’s fees for his noncompliance after notification. He’s been notified not only by us, but also the three agencies above. The additional beauty to this is that the homeowner was served notice by the State safety inspector that he must remedy the issue within a certain time frame, or be found in violation of not just State but International building and safety codes. Still, the homeowner has done nothing, and is now being taken to court by them as well.

There is still a lot of work to be done, but I wanted to thank you sincerely for your previous help, as it set before me a path I could follow in an attempt to get this resolved one way or another.

JETX

Of course, you're welcome and glad to hear that it is working out.

As for the Christmas bonus, I hope it isn't the same as last year. I took my FreeAdvice membership card down to my local supermarket and requested my Christmas turkey. Of course, the idiot refused any knowledge of this (even though you had advised me of the program). Must have been a new or seasonal employee. Needless to say, we got into a heated discussion and a physical altercation arose. Last I heard, he was still trying to get that salami stick surgically removed!

H

hexeliebe

Hey Jet, at least you didn't get the secondary Bonus program, a Christmas Goose delivered by IAAL....:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">